GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ESP Light flashing when off

spanky#1

Car(s)
volkswagen
Hi when i press the 'ESP Off' button on my mk5 golf the ESP light flashes. I checked the manual and it states that when you click that button the ESP should light up and not flash. Could something be wrong with the ESP?

Thanks

bhmkv

Auto Body Appraiser
Car(s)
07 CW GTI
I think 2008 and up. I have a 2007 and light stayed on when esp is off. There was 2-3 threads in the past week about this. With the newer cars it not only flashes it keeps some of the traction control on as well. Search and you will find it.

spanky#1

Car(s)
volkswagen
I have had the car for just over a month its the 2008 gt tdi 2.0 model. I had it serviced by VW a couple of weeks ago and I'm sure before the service the light stayed on and did not flash when i turned the esp off. I will check online like you said.

ehancock

Ready to race!
my wife's 08 dsg stays solid, my 09 6mt flashes

09Gtiman

Boulder Dubs
Car(s)
09 UG GTI
08.5 model years and up flash because the traction control cannot be completely disabled, i was worried about this with my GTi as well, but its normal if ur car is 08.5 and up

codaloo

Adventure Seeker
Car(s)
'09 GTI
Is there a way to turn the ESP off completely for the models that have the flashing light? My '09 does that, too. :/

ChattMkv

Level 80 Procrasturbator
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
Is there a way to turn the ESP off completely for the models that have the flashing light?

Not a simple solution anyways.

codaloo

Adventure Seeker
Car(s)
'09 GTI
Of course not.... I actually couldn't really tell mine was partially on. I went drifting in the little bit of snow we got here and it was fantastic with ESP turned off.

flavyos

is there any final solution about it? my mk5 2008, if esp off pressed light is flashing not solid since last week abs system replaced

vwengineer

Ready to race!
I think if you disable it on newer models it will mostly let the traction wheels spin freely but it will still stabilize the car if it drifts sideways. There was a VAC-COM trick, no? To have two modes flashing and solid?