GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Trade-In Value?

miss0033

Ready to race!
Guys, I almost had a deal on a car but the dealership is unwilling to move on price or trade value. I have an '06 fully loaded (pkg 1 and 2, w/ DSG, sunroof, nav) GTI, with 17" Denvers on summer tires (currently sports snows on steelies but I will keep those are trade in the car w/ summers). I did the timing belt and there are no major flaws with the car. a couple minor door dings and one spot on the lower side of a chair where the leather wore through. It has 105,000 miles. Dealer is only willing to give me $6,000 towards the car... KBB says $7,800?!?! Why so far apart?

Here is the car I am looking at getting (yes a mkvi)
http://burnsvillevw.com/Minneapolis/For-Sale/Used/Volkswagen/GTI/2011-w-Sunroof-and-Navi-White-Car/23933689/

I have been waiting for a 2012 4DR DSG with sunroof/navi to come along with 25,000 miles but I have yet to see one. I jumped at this because it is one of the only 4 doors non-base that has come across the area recently.

Thoughts? I know it probably isnt the best to ask about trading in a MkV on a MkV owners forum, but maybe some that traded still lurk here...

golfballer78

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' R32 dsg
trade in is never as high as resale value. then of course they put it back out on the lot at a marked up profit. but trade in plus down payment may help ya......or just sell it your self asking for high book & see what offers you get.....

miss0033

Ready to race!
KBB Trade-in value says $7,800. Private resale says $9,600 which I think is a tad high. I'd love to get $8,500 private sale for it. Maybe I will just list it and see what happens...

They showed me recent sales for the area, and the main problem is there are so few 06/07 GTIs sold (some of the '06s being 1.8Ts even) and the range is huge. From $6,500 upwards of $9-$10 even with high miles.

I am hoping once the MkVII's come out that there will be a few more 2012 CPOs that come out.

Wife wants kids soon and I dont feel like dealing with a car seat with my 2 door, plus I'd also like to quit worrying about the cam follower all the time.

golfballer78

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' R32 dsg
ya, for some reason the mkVI's with all the goodies are expensive initially, pre-owned is still holding pretty high.this used GLi was easy for me,like the trunk space now, insurance is allot cheaper too (maybe 5 door GTI also) even if i was in a higher income, couldn't see paying over 30g's for a GTI, 40+ for golfR , audi TTS? but yeah, if you sell personally you have a greater chance at a bigger down payment.

dingosteeda

Passed Driver's Ed
I work at a dealership and a lot of it comes from different things such as market conditions and wholesale car auctions that dealers use. Dealerships would much rather look at how much similar cars have sold for in the last 30 days rather than just guessing off kbb or similar estimate sites. Auctions give a much better idea of the amount of demand for specific vehicles.

The main thing that hurts some german cars is the fear of maintenance once you get higher in mileage. Less customers at dealerships are looking at European cars with over 100k. We want to buy cars that we think we can sell and within 2 weeks generally.

mngti83

If its as clean as you say id go the private seller route,i know it sucks having to wait and deal with the selling yourself but it would be worth it in the long run.