GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

anyone been featured in a magazine?

Boosty

Ready to race!
Was looking through classifieds and someone said their car was "magazine ready"
Which go me curious if anyone here's been in a magazine?
The only vw mag i know of is pvw , but in sure there are others
How do you get into a magazine in the first place? And what are the benefits?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I've been in trade publications, but it was only my ugly face. :)

They usually find you, but if you think you have an unusual car and a good story to tell, there's no shame in soliciting them. If you live near them, it could be a plus. I don't see any benefits except bragging rights.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Write something up with lots of pictures and start small. Something like Rock Auto's monthly newsletter.

Phur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2013 VW GTI Autobahn
I took some shots of a friend of mine’s car after EuroDistrict. He said that it looked like he was going to be featured in PVW, and wanted to use one of my pictures. I’m not sure if it is still going to happen or not. He’s had health problems.
1642724859776.jpeg

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
My GTO was in a Magnaflow ad and was also used as a background car on one of those build a car for my friend shows. Does that count.
This was pic taken by the Magnaflow folks from a van with platform driving at same speed as car to get the background blur.
600rwhp, 6sdp, Quaife LSD, Wilwood brakes all around, DRM custom coils, IForged wheels, Borla exh, Vortech supercharger, cam, water/meth, all tuned by Richard at Magnaflow on their dynos.

Last edited:

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Only 8 years to get a reply to the original post. Holy thread revival Batman!

My Scirocco was featured in european car in 2005. But the photoshoot was in 2002. Funny how it came about. I was living in Huntington Beach at the time, and my mechanic was the renowned Ron Wood @ VW Specialties (since retired). Les Bidrawn, then-editor and main photographer at ec, was pals with Ron and frequented his shop. One day my car was there for some work and Les stumbled upon it, and asked Ron who owned it? Said he wanted to do a feature on it. Left his card on the dash. Gave him a call, he asked if I had a buddy with a clean Mk1 to feature alongside my Mk2, and I said sure. Weeks later I had my pal Randy drive down from the Bay Area for a day-long photoshoot at Les's favorite location out in the Mohave desert, midway between LA & Vegas. What a great experience! But then - the article didn't appear. For months and months. Finally figured it just wasn't going to happen. Then one day in 2005, 3 full years after the photo shoot, there it is.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Which issue of euro tuner?

I honestly don't remember. Phil Royle came out and the shoot took place in Castaic. It also made the Eurotuner calendar that year. This was early 2000's. I used to have several copies...but all got tossed over time. The thing that kinda bugged me was that it was shot with the 2.0 8v motor and not the 1.8T that was swapped in later. ABD (blast from the past!) gave me a bunch of parts for the 2.0...so the car was not re-shot with the 1.8T.

It also made the Tokico Shocks catalog one year. They had a framed picture hanging in their office. They gave me the pic when I went to pick up my set of struts in exchange for the photo shoot. I still have that somewhere. I'd have to dig through the archives at my parents place.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
My GTO was in a Magnaflow ad and was also used as a background car on one of those build a car for my friend shows. Does that count.
This was pic taken by the Magnaflow folks from a van with platform driving at same speed as car to get the background blur.
600rwhp, 6sdp, Quaife LSD, Wilwood brakes all around, DRM custom coils, IForged wheels, Borla exh, Vortech supercharger, cam, water/meth, all tuned by Richard at Magnaflow on their dynos.

Kinda funny MF used it for a Ad, but it had Borla exhaust.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6 GTI
I honestly don't remember. Phil Royle came out and the shoot took place in Castaic. It also made the Eurotuner calendar that year. This was early 2000's. I used to have several copies...but all got tossed over time. The thing that kinda bugged me was that it was shot with the 2.0 8v motor and not the 1.8T that was swapped in later. ABD (blast from the past!) gave me a bunch of parts for the 2.0...so the car was not re-shot with the 1.8T.

It also made the Tokico Shocks catalog one year. They had a framed picture hanging in their office. They gave me the pic when I went to pick up my set of struts in exchange for the photo shoot. I still have that somewhere. I'd have to dig through the archives at my parents place.
I have a bunch of old eurotuner from while back (bought this lot of PVWs that came with that and some other stuff)

If you think if when I was lmk and I'll see if I have it.

cb1111

I never had my car photographed, but I did photograph some cars for a magazine - some were NSF, but I'll try to see if I can find some safe ones.

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I was featured in Volkswagen's "Driver" magazine about 20 years ago. "Driver" focused more on the owner than the car. They wrote a few stories about the early part of my Coast Guard career. I had to have them remove some of their "artistic license." Everything they wrote was technically true, but not wholly accurate or the way any Coastguardsman would tell the stories. HAHA! For example, one story involved me falling into the Bering Sea on a routine fisheries boarding in February. Yes, it was cold. They wrote the phrase, "he was literally freezing in the frigid water," which conjured an image of me floating in the sea in the form of an ice cube, perhaps like something you'd see in a Bugs Bunny cartoon. :sneaky: They finally quits taking my input after several edits and went to print. HAHA!

Regarding EuroTuner magazine, they used to have a webpage where one could upload a photo of their car and print it to a fake magazine cover. Here's one that I did 15 years ago:

Take Care,

Scott