GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

smoke from exhaust ..

mk5gtiguy

Pwaffle Champion
so i have been noticing lots ofsmoke coming from my car... i have a catless dp with a performance res. that has a turndown so i always noticed a lil smoke but ever since i put my hpfp on it has been worse.. idle you can't see it when i go wot or just start moving from a stop it gets bad its a blue ish white. my oil is low.. always seems to be low.. and my flapped motor code is on. any ideas? i have read some possibilities and they lead to valve or piston ring failure.. so I'm kinda nervous..

mk5gtiguy

Pwaffle Champion
so i have been noticing lots ofsmoke coming from my car... i have a catless dp with a performance res. that has a turndown so i always noticed a lil smoke but ever since i put my hpfp on it has been worse.. idle you can't see it when i go wot or just start moving from a stop it gets bad its a blue ish white. my oil is low.. always seems to be low.. and my flapped motor code is on. any ideas? i have read some possibilities and they lead to valve or piston ring failure.. so I'm kinda nervous..
i also have a pcv block off could it be my rear pcv? or do i need a catch can ?

nashbar

Ready to race!
Car(s)
b5s4, fz1 and mk5
smoke? or just some color to the exhaust?

a puff of black/blue/dust is normal. continuous stream blue/white smoke is bad.

just add some oil and drive on

it's a turbo/direct injection car, it'll spew a bit. catalyst helps

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI
low oil isnt good, he flapper motor should be replaced imo cuz that opens and closes accordingly to allow air to enter or not enter the intake manifold thus fuckin up your afr's and maybe dumping more/less fuel than needed. add some oil, get a new flapper motor and u should be ok and yes being low on oil means some parts of the engine arent being lubed and that could lead to rung, piston, engine failure

20GLI08

Put em on the glass
Car(s)
GLI
Im having the same problem. Seems to be worse when I get on it a bit then drive normal for a few miles, come to a stop and idle then when I start to go again I leave a nice puff of bluish smoke behind me. Im dumping close to 4qts in between oil changes, its like im doing an oil change between oil changes.

My first thoughts were rings or valves but now im leaning toward possible seals in the turbo. I ran a few logs and im not meeting requested boost, N75 is almost maxed from about 3000rpm- redline and my timing is all over the place

TheeFT

That One Guy
Car(s)
Germans
blue smoke = oil, pure white smoke = coolant, sounds like your burning oil, some can be from blow by but its probably your pcv having some gook in it, or even a piston ring but you would notice a knock or pinging if that was the case, i say pull the pcv and clean out with some carb cleaner and so how it acts after that.

lonestargti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
06 Cw GTI
Im having the same problem. Seems to be worse when I get on it a bit then drive normal for a few miles, come to a stop and idle then when I start to go again I leave a nice puff of bluish smoke behind me. Im dumping close to 4qts in between oil changes, its like im doing an oil change between oil changes.

My first thoughts were rings or valves but now im leaning toward possible seals in the turbo. I ran a few logs and im not meeting requested boost, N75 is almost maxed from about 3000rpm- redline and my timing is all over the place

This is also happening to me, after racing a friend I noticed white smoke coming out of my exhaust... I have no idea what to check or anything haha

bobsey

Mine also has this problem of a hazy blue smoke out of my exhaust on full throttle, but it only dose it the first time i give it full throttle then i carnt see any more smoke.
It also hesitates abit like a missfire after 3000rpm on full throttle and there is alot of black oil spots on the back of the car.

sh00k0nes pt. 2

Ready to race!
Sorry to revive this thread, but I've been noticing there same symptoms recently. I've read that it could possibly be the valve cover, but I did that once and it remedied the problem for probably 15k then it started happening again. I don't want to spend another $200+ on another valve cover if it's just going to happen again. Could it valve stem seals or piston rings? How can I diagnose those?

carbonduc27

Car(s)
07 CW GTI 4dr Stage2
Burning oil could by many things. Is there oil in the intake pipe off the turbo or going to the throttle body?

How many miles on your car?

carbonduc27

Car(s)
07 CW GTI 4dr Stage2
If it was me I would clean and inspect PCV valve (if you still have it) and then that little pipe coming off the back of the intake manifold that goes into the turbo; that rear breather tube has a one way valve in it that can get gummed up. That is for an FSI so I am not sure what the equivalent looks like on a TSI

You could replace all that crap with this:
https://www.urotuning.com/FSi-PCV-Emissions-Breather-Update-Kit-Mk5-2-0T-p/06f129101p-kt.htm

Beyond that it may be turbo seals or valve/rings. Which would suck since that costs $$$$$$$$$