GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I hit a curb during ice storm

tj1393

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello everyone I have been racking my brains figuring out what I need to do. I hit a curb on front passenger side at a relatively low rate of speed but when I hit, it lifted my driver side up (I am on coil overs and a rear sway bar). I took it to les schwab to do an alignment, get a new steel wheel, balanced and have them check everything which they said was fine. I crawled under my car and saw my cv boot was messed up and was still having some vibration and shimmy in steering wheel while driving. I actually emailed les schwab corporate about the bad experience I had and because of their neglect/not doing what I asked or telling me they couldn't do it, instead of being able to fix the cv boot for $40 I now need a replacement axle for almost $400.

Long story short, I have car jacked up on stands, pass. Axle removed (awaiting raxles performance axles (left and right) to arrive. (Marty from raxles is an amazing person and from what I've seen and talked to him has a great business and I have never had customer service of this magnitude in my life).

I've removed the caliper, disc, having troubles with the bearing/hub removal.

I am wondering what should be looked at/replaced. I am contimplating replacing bearing, bushings (all front end bushings and doing a entire front end refresh since I'm at 71k miles).

I am debating pulling control arms/tie rods/ h&r coil overs.

Are these recommended to be checked/removed for service and damage? I am replacing all bolts/nuts that need to be, bushings, even ball joints. How do I tell if these items have damage other than obvious warping? Calipers? Measuring tools?

Thanks in advance. I am doing the fronts, then the rears and am also planning to do brakelines, rotors/pads if needed. This is a "while I'm in there thing" so I'm even debating doing clutch because I'm looking at doing subframe check and bushings/rigid collar kit. Do I need to be concerned of subframe being warped/damaged?

Also to add, I have peloquin limited slip differential as well- should I be concerned of any damage due to compression of the axle or any other parts? Thanks in advance. I have the Bentley manual and will be purchasing a vag com by the time my car is back up and running. My vehicle is 2007, Volkswagen gti 71,000 miles- first owner and has apr stage 2+ manual transmission. Also has a brand new motor (within last 10,000 miles completed last year, oil pump, gas tank, oil pan, timing belt/water pump came with the new motor).

Also, I am looking for oem quality or an actual upgrade. I don't want to cheap out on things but I am not rich by any means. If I am fixing/replacings something I would like to upgrade, if there's not something better than oem then I will stick with that or if there's an oem brand that makes for Volkswagen/Audi then I won't mind using that.
Thanks in advance everyone. Any other questions don't hesitate. Any and all recommendations and comments will be looked into.

---///--- too long didn't read ---///---

I hit a curb front passenger side. What do I need to check, fix, remove or replace. Car is not currently drivable due to axle/brakes removed and battery out. Front bumper off also.

Last edited:

sh00k0nes pt. 2

Ready to race!
When I hit a curb on my passenger side wheel, I had to replace my axle (snapped in half) and my control arm (bent). After replacing those parts my alignment on only the passenger side was way off. So I replaced the spindle and that helped out tremendously, but still quite not perfect. FYI my original spindle was bent to the naked eye. But I took one off a Tiguan at the junk yard for a good price and replaced it anyways. Then I replaced both my tie rods with aftermarket which didn't do anything. Then I switched tie rods out with OEM and everything returned back to normal.