GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RandomUserName's 2009 MKV GTI build thread...

RandomUserName

Ready to race!
Well, it's been awhile since I updated this thread, so I figured I'd take some time to do a couple quick updates.

I ran APR's new software for the K04 - V 3.0 from the release day, until a few weeks ago. Yeah, I had a few complaints about the low end power. It was a bit of a dog down low, but when the boost kicked in, it went like no other.

Recently, I've upgraded to V 3.1. It has been much, much better all around. Better low end throttle response, just better overall...

I still have some stock parts on the car that many of you have already upgraded - stock intercooler, stock mounts, stock suspension, etc.

So I just decided that I would buy some new mounts. I was drooling over the thought of the DLI or VWR mounts, I just can't justify that kind of money. SO I went with Torque Solutions. They are shipping to me as I type, along with the European short throw shifter. Should make a major improvement.

I must say, I am at a bit of a crossroads right now. Do I continue to refine the car that I so adore, or look at getting something else that I can start over on?

We'll all get to this point with our cars.

I'm really being tempted by some Audi's. I saw a used RS5 on my road trip down south and I really fell hard.

But I digress,

I hope the mounts will really take some of the slop of the drive train out. With a Stage 3 SB DXD kit, engagement can be a little touchy, even after the many KM's that I have put on since buttoning it all up.

I do have an ECS insert, which has helped a little.

I'm also trialing an intake right now. Nothing really special, I just wanted to see if I could see any measurable gains in logging. I made a couple of brackets that attach to where the stock air scoop does, and bought a K&N filter with filter material on the top of the filter. I haven't bothered to make a surround for it, just mounted it in the air stream through the grill. A simple 3" tube and a 3" silicone coupler finish it off.

I might take some pics when I do the mount and short throw shifter.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Sounds good. I would say to keep on keeping on with this car but I know how the new car itch can be. Used but new to you cars included. Glad it's running right now.

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
I had some private time with a 2014 RS5 last summer. Spent about 3 hours driving it; it was cool at first but honestly, it's a dog. It feels WAY too heavy (well, it is WAY too heavy) and a lot of that 450hp is lost with the quattro and quite honestly, there's not much you can do it short of a super charger.

Mind you, that thing with a supercharger would be incredible.

RandomUserName

Ready to race!
I had some private time with a 2014 RS5 last summer. Spent about 3 hours driving it; it was cool at first but honestly, it's a dog. It feels WAY too heavy (well, it is WAY too heavy) and a lot of that 450hp is lost with the quattro and quite honestly, there's not much you can do it short of a super charger.

A buddy that I work with has a 2010 S4 with the supercharger. It's pretty quick. You right about the AWD thing too. I wish they had an optional engine with a charger or turbo.. We've all seen how much fun they can be to tune.

What I'd really like is an R8 V10 Plus. LOL.

Sounds good. I would say to keep on keeping on with this car but I know how the new car itch can be. Used but new to you cars included. Glad it's running right now.

Thanks. It took a lot to get it back to where it is now. Took a lot to convince APR that I was in fact having issues with the software. But I guess looking at the forums, sometimes the tune gets the blame first. LOL.

RandomUserName

Ready to race!
I should add - I installed one on my Torque Solutions motor mounts today. The engine side one. And the European short throw shifter. The motor mount alone has tightened up everything, and the short throw is pretty awesome with the clutch and flywheel setup I have.

I only had time to install one today, as I have to work soon. But I installed the passenger side mount because I have a creaking that I get when I let off the accelerator. I did help with it, but I am pretty sure there is a work bushing on the suspension that I will be looking to change sooner than later. Good thing I bought a 20 ton press. LOL.

Pics to follow.

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI

And its only $15k, haha!

http://www.goapr.com/products/stage3plus_b8_s5_42fsi.html

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
My wife works with the guy that has the blue rs4 supercharged on APR's website. It's pretty awesome and he is selling... but he is looking for 50k!