GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mounts recommendation for SB Stage 2 daily

somerset9

Go Kart Newbie
Going with the South Bend stage 2 daily.
I already have a HPA puck from a buddy of mine (not on the car yet) but wondering if I should upgrade my mounts while I'm doing my clutch and eventually going stage 1. If so, what'd be your recommendations?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
For street use I really like the 034 Motorsport mounts. Had them on for about 4 years I think. Added just a tiny bit of vibration when my DSG was waiting at a stop but you have a manual so probably would not see any real noise or vibration but it really does hold in the drivetrain well.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Do those mounts help you get going from a dead stop easier too?

My car is a DSG.

With a manual trans
I can imagine that if you have worn mounts that allow the engine to rotate that it could cause some bucking when you are trying to move off the line smoothly.

Engine rotates as you are letting clutch out and eventually it will snap back. Just a theory, I drive a DSG so no experience with your issue.

5aprilc

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
I was thinking performance motor and trans mounts might help me get going quicker from a dig. I upgraded the dog bone mount and that helped some.

I need to learn how to get better at launching the car to. I still haven't figured out what the best RPM is to rev it to before dumping the clutch.

No launch control in the 06 unfortunately.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I was thinking performance motor and trans mounts might help me get going quicker from a dig. I upgraded the dog bone mount and that helped some.

I need to learn how to get better at launching the car to. I still haven't figured out what the best RPM is to rev it to before dumping the clutch.

No launch control in the 06 unfortunately.

You didn't say this was for drag racing. These would be a bad choice for that. I would put poly bushings in (much stiffer) and I would swap out:

Engine Mount
Trans Mount
Pendlum Arm
Forget the insert and replace the actual pucks

Go poly or spherical bushings for all.

That will keep the drivetrain put and allow excellent transfer of energy and still be street drivable. Solid mounts would of course provide max transfer.

Why not just buy a Unitronic tune and turn on Launch Control or something similar.

5aprilc

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
I already paid all that money for the APR tunes, seems like of foolish to now buy a different companies tune just because they offer launch control.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I already paid all that money for the APR tunes, seems like of foolish to now buy a different companies tune just because they offer launch control.

I can't answer that question for you. I personally went through several tunes to get the car sorted to my satisfaction. So for me, the answer was no, it made sense. For you, it may not make sense.

somerset9

Go Kart Newbie
It's been about two months since I've gotten all the parts in...South Bend Stage 2 daily, Torque Solution engine and trans mount (75A durometer). Vibrations are not bad at all, which is surprising. I had tons on my Mazda 3 with a transmission mount (mounting points are similar as the GTI and the Mazda3 are both traversely mounted, 2 liter engine with a 6 speed).

After a month, I added the HPA puck and a fluidampr. I am loving this setup. The drivetrain is more responsive, getting more engine note in the cabin, but nothing annoying at all.