GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sac Area Discussion Thread -- Part 2

He15man

Ready to race!
Car(s)
06 Tornado Red GTI
Yeah definitely your coil packs and I would replace the sparkplugs also.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks, im definitely planning on getting the spark plugs and coil packs kit from ECS tuning for $150

He also said if the intake isn't sealed after the MAF unmetered air could cause misfires or it running rough

He15man

Ready to race!
Car(s)
06 Tornado Red GTI
Heading to Roseville VW in the morning, hopefully it won't cost an arm and a leg to get my car back to 100%

Sounds like the PCV is going bad from what Ive researched

He15man

Ready to race!
Car(s)
06 Tornado Red GTI
So Roseville VW says i need to replace my rear brake pads and rotors.

They quoted me $362 when i had my car in getting checked for the CEL

I looked up the parts and they run around $180 after shipping and sales tax, so Roseville VW's price seems fair.

Do you guys think i should go with them or an independent shop? I would prefer to use OEM parts and have it done at the dealer if the price difference isn't that much.

707Stang

I'm Hella From Nor*Cal
I would, but alas i cannot anymore. Anyone here get a mkv gti late 2012 with about 60k in ug with a dsg?

707Stang

I'm Hella From Nor*Cal
I could aks my friend out there if he'd be interested if you'd like...

thebornotaku

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Car(s)
2009 Rabbit 2.5 S
Well this thread seems dead but anyone in the area feel like helping me install my suspension? I'll pay you of course...

It's really not that difficult, I did all 4 corners on my mk5 Rabbit in a few hours including time for being lazy and stupid.

Top tips: Invest in the proper tools, have somebody there to help.

Take the axle bolts out and the ball joint nuts off when you start, push the control arms in the front down and out of the way and it'll make it a lot easier to get the clearance you need to remove the front struts.

make sure to clean the corrosion out of the strut clamps so whatever you put in will seat nicely. I spent nearly an hour trying to fight one strut down in to the knuckle, scrubbed the housing with a wire brush and it dropped right in...

Rear is a cakewalk though.

my.gti.is.grey.

Thanks guys..looks like I'll give it a shot..gonna definitely get all the tools and set aside a day or two.

I called a couple local shops and they all want $400+ which seems crazy

vlkswgnbgmn66

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Fahrenheit GTI #473
Don't remove your axle bolts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my.gti.is.grey.

Unfortunately both my outer cv boots have small tears in them..still trying to decide if I wanna put a new boot on or get some new axles from Napa.

Never done any suspension work or axle work before lol... Guess it'll be trial by fire

vlkswgnbgmn66

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Fahrenheit GTI #473
Get new axles. I've done boot replacements but never felt comfortable with how long the repair would last. On my personal car I replaced the axle. Make sure you torque the axle bolts properly. Do your research on how to do it properly or you'll regret it in the near future after the repair.

thebornotaku

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Car(s)
2009 Rabbit 2.5 S
Thanks guys..looks like I'll give it a shot..gonna definitely get all the tools and set aside a day or two.

I called a couple local shops and they all want $400+ which seems crazy

Honestly for the labor involved, that sounds pretty accurate. Around 2-3 hours to do the work.

It's just that it's not terribly difficult, so why do it?

I took mine out, no issue. Replaced them with new ones, torqued to spec. Well over a week and no issues...

Get new axles. I've done boot replacements but never felt comfortable with how long the repair would last. On my personal car I replaced the axle. Make sure you torque the axle bolts properly. Do your research on how to do it properly or you'll regret it in the near future after the repair.

Yeah I would just replace the whole axle too. No telling how much damage has been done to the trunnions and everything once the axle boot splits. Plus you're already taking the thing out... may as well make life a little easier and skip the b.s. with grease and clamps and all that, and just swap 'er around.

707Stang

I'm Hella From Nor*Cal
I would, but alas i cannot anymore. Anyone here get a 2008 gti late 2012 with about 60k in ug with a dsg?

or anyone know of someone? Just trying to see if she went to a good home...