GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Identify Leak (Green)

mystix

Passed Driver's Ed
So I noticed something green dripping behind the front passenger wheel and need help identifying it.

Attachments

• Green1.jpg
    Green1.jpg
    450.4 KB · Views: 976

roscoe87

Ready to race!
could be coolant if someones putting the wrong stuff in your car, but also check your windshield washer reservoir for leaks which is located by the passenger wheel. sometimes people use a green bug be gone type fluid.

mystix

Passed Driver's Ed
Its not coolant, that would be the pink stuff which is right on the line.

Its not windshield washer fluid either because the reservoir is in front of the wheel, not behind and also because I use the cheap standard blue crap and nothing fancy.

kyle_h

Passed Driver's Ed
How's your ac working? Ac oil could be green if there's dye in it

Sent from my iPhone using the Tapatalk app, so that explains the typos...

mystix

Passed Driver's Ed
My pressure switch failed just over a month ago. I replaced it and had the system refilled by a mechanic. The A/C has seen been working fine since, no loss of cooling.

bowerhour4334

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKV GTI
So youre saying its not your coolant. Its not your windshield washer fluid. Its obviously not your engine oil or trans lube.

The only other liquid in the car would be fuel and whatever is in your cup holder.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
If its oily, its R134a. our A/C lines run right there and connect at the condenser mounted in front of your radiator. The green comes from the oil/dye used to lubricate and identify leaks in the A/C system. There are only 6 fluids in our cars, its not 5 of them (easy to tell by color), so start looking, if there is that much it should be easy to trace.

Start at the condenser, it looks like a mini radiator, the connections are on the passenger side behind your grill. From there just start tracing the lines, if you want to go all the way with it. Pick yourself up a UV flashlight, the dye is UV reactive and will glow neon under the light, makes tracing and finding the leak easier.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Pee

Austin_hull

Für Die Liebe Des Autos
Car(s)
MK5 TR GTI REVO// +
You mean coolant?

Its coolant. However vag specific coolant is usually like pinkish. But yeah its coolant check your levels.

yup, that's exactly what I meant, but I figured if the OP was asking about something that simple, that perhaps they weren't familiar with the proper terms...but yeah, Coolant.

:thumbsup:

mystix

Passed Driver's Ed
It's possible it could be PAG oil. The AC is still working cold though, do these systems have a pressure blow off valve in case they are over charged? Perhaps the shop which re-charged the system over charged it?

I suppose if it's PAG oil then I should have it fixed before black death kicks in.

If its oily, its R134a. our A/C lines run right there and connect at the condenser mounted in front of your radiator. The green comes from the oil/dye used to lubricate and identify leaks in the A/C system. There are only 6 fluids in our cars, its not 5 of them (easy to tell by color), so start looking, if there is that much it should be easy to trace.

Start at the condenser, it looks like a mini radiator, the connections are on the passenger side behind your grill. From there just start tracing the lines, if you want to go all the way with it. Pick yourself up a UV flashlight, the dye is UV reactive and will glow neon under the light, makes tracing and finding the leak easier.

goneD4rk

Banned
do the taste test. Let me know what you think.

mystix

Passed Driver's Ed
Gonna have to wait til next time when I see it leaking. So far I haven't seen it again. I should have at least touched it to feel for consistency.