GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cruise Control Busted

DallasRabbit

I've done a lot of searching and reading through these and various other VW forums about intermittent cruise control. I do not have this problem. My cruise control has not worked for 2-3 weeks. period. I've turned my car on and off. I've checked all my fuses for continuity. I don't know which switch handles CC so i checked all of them. I've tried cleaning the switch itself. I didn't have the torx bits to remove the switch from the circuit board so I dipped some q-tips in rubbing alcohol and wiped the visible part of the contacts best I could. I'll look at the brake switch next but my brake lights work just fine. I don't know if it's related but I had an oil change at a dealer right before I noticed the problem. I don't recall exactly at what time I used it last so I don't know for sure if it stopped working before or after the oil change. Dealer wants $123 to scan my car for codes. Any suggestions? Anyone in the Plano/North Dallas area with VCDS/VAGCOM willing to meet and scan my car? I'll buy you a six pack or something.

Car: 2009 Rabbit. Cruise control switches are integrated in one stalk with the indicator lights.

goneD4rk

Banned
does the gauge cruise light up when you pull the lever one click toward you?

stealership want 123 to scan? WTF. IT takes a few seconds. maybe 123 to scan and fix.

DallasRabbit

Pulling the lever/stalk toward me momentarily turns on the brights. When I flick the top switch to "on" a light doesn't turn on. It has never done that. The light only ever turned on after I pressed the set switch. Currently no light turns on at all when I turn the cruise control on and press the set button. The service rep at the dealer said it'd be $123 to diagnose and then something about reducing the cost if I had them fix it as well. I don't remember the exact wording. The call happened a week ago. I'm considering going to an import shop and seeing how much cheaper they'd be to scan

Last edited:

goneD4rk

Banned
Pulling the lever/stalk toward me momentarily turns on the brights. When I flick the top switch to "on" a light doesn't turn on. It has never done that. The light only ever turned on after I pressed the set switch. Currently no light turns on at all when I turn the cruise control on and press the set button. The service rep at the dealer said it'd be $123 to diagnose and then something about reducing the cost if I had them fix it as well. I don't remember the exact wording. The call happened a week ago. I'm considering going to an import shop and seeing how much cheaper they'd be to scan

wait, the brights and CC are on different levers. wtf?:lol:

DallasRabbit

On a 2009 like mine there's one stalk on the left side of the steering column. It takes care of both the indicator lights AND the cruise control. I said this is my first post

There are several different integrated turn signal/cruise stalks.

I have Type B and experienced a similar problem back in 2009. When you say cruise control doesn't work, does the light in the dash that says "cruise" come on or not?

When mine didn't work, cruise came on but I could not set the speed. Fast forward a few weeks, I had the battery unplugged for some reason and suddenly, cruise started working again. It may or may not have been related but it's worth a shot.

thebornotaku

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Car(s)
2009 Rabbit 2.5 S
wait, the brights and CC are on different levers. wtf?:lol:

my 09's got two levers

right side does wipers f/r

left side does brights if you pull it towards you for FTP, push away for constant.

cruise control on/off/cancel switch is on te top of the lever, and res/set/accel/decel rocker is on the side.

dgcamero

Mine sometimes doesn't work if I start the car with the switch turned to on. It is related to the "load manager." Have you had your battery checked recently? My original battery lasted a bit longer than 5 years...and it got much better when I replaced my battery.

Last edited:

Nitrorea

Ready to race!
Mine sometimes doesn't work if I start the car with the switch turned to on. It is related to the "load manager." Have you had your battery checked recently? My original battery lasted a bit longer than 5 years...and it got much better when I replaced my battery.

Dredging up somewhat on an old thread here.

My CC doesn't work either. Are you saying the functionality of the cruise control is related to the battery level? What is the "load manager?"

vlkswgnbgmn66

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Fahrenheit GTI #473
My CC doesn't work either. Are you saying the functionality of the cruise control is related to the battery level? What is the "load manager?"

After several issues came up, cruise control doing what dgcamero was describing and my started making squeaking noise, I found the battery charge was directly related. After replacing the battery(it was 5 years old) I haven't had an issue with either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nitrorea

Ready to race!
After several issues came up, cruise control doing what dgcamero was describing and my started making squeaking noise, I found the battery charge was directly related. After replacing the battery(it was 5 years old) I haven't had an issue with either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting. My battery is fairly new, maybe two years old?? But showing no signs of loosing power. Cranks just fine is cold weather after sitting for a couple of days. I guess I'll see what the cruise when I replace battery next....not spending the money on a new battery just to fix CC.