GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Just got my self an 08 GTI

Alex93rood

Car(s)
08 GTI
Hi, how is everyone? New here just got my self an 08 GTI this past Saturday FSI with the duel clutch and love it so far! Already got a set of coils on the way I've done some searching on here already lots of good info but what are most people running wheel and tire wise? I want to go flush and wide with a little poke as well as exhaust need something that will pass smog here in Ca

Austin_hull

Für Die Liebe Des Autos
Car(s)
MK5 TR GTI REVO// +
Hi, how is everyone? New here just got my self an 08 GTI this past Saturday FSI with the duel clutch and love it so far! Already got a set of coils on the way I've done some searching on here already lots of good info but what are most people running wheel and tire wise? I want to go flush and wide with a little poke as well as exhaust need something that will pass smog here in Ca

Congrats, and welcome! What coils did you go with? And wheels are something that should be to your taste, not what everyone else goes with. That being said, there are some "cookie-cutter" wheels, that a lot of people run...people around here seem to be big on BBS RS's, CH's, and Impuls, VMR has a pretty big presence as well, (I really like the V710). A lot of people also like OZ Futuras or Ultraleggeras...My personal favorites are the Work VS-XX, Rotiform NUE's, BBS RS's, and Rota Grids.

Hope fully this gives you a starting ground to develop your own flavor.

Oh, and pics or gtfo.

Alex93rood

Car(s)
08 GTI
Sorry when I was asking about wheels I was more so trying to ask what more people are running size and offset wise but thank you for the other info aswell I ended up buying a set of Ksports

Austin_hull

Für Die Liebe Des Autos
Car(s)
MK5 TR GTI REVO// +
Sorry when I was asking about wheels I was more so trying to ask what more people are running size and offset wise but thank you for the other info aswell I ended up buying a set of Ksports

I'm actually glad to hear that...I was kinda bummed that you just wanted to know what everybody else had...as far as sizing and offset, 18x8, all the way up to 19x10s are popular...offsets typically range between ET45 to ET30. You'll find a lot of people that want to have the whole "hellaflush" look, are doing the fender-screw mod, or pulling their fenders. On stock fenders, I had a set of Work VS-XX in 17x8 ET35, with a 5mm spacer in the back, and they were pretty much completely flush.

Check this out, it's pretty helpful:

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59761

Austin_hull

Für Die Liebe Des Autos
Car(s)
MK5 TR GTI REVO// +
Thank you! Just want I was looking for I'm thinking some 17X9 what off set would work with out spacers?

probably between 38-50...it's gonna have to be a pretty conservative offset, since the wheels are so wide...any ideas as to what 17x9 you'd run? Because you're probably going to be dealing with a gnarly offset, unless you run bigger lips...

Alex93rood

Car(s)
08 GTI
I wouldn't mind running bigger lips and no idea on the off set I would be running yet still looking into that sounds like I might be better off running 17X8.5 with a little bit of stretch for that flush look

Austin_hull

Für Die Liebe Des Autos
Car(s)
MK5 TR GTI REVO// +
I wouldn't mind running bigger lips and no idea on the off set I would be running yet still looking into that sounds like I might be better off running 17X8.5 with a little bit of stretch for that flush look

stretch is a good route to go! :thumbsup: I personally wouldn't venture over 8.5", unless you want to do some fender work...

well, at first glance they do, but it seems as though the first one is significantly less expensive, but is also bigger...by almost an inch and a half width-ways...so...maybe not...

Alex93rood

Car(s)
08 GTI
I don't mind rolling fenders but I don't want to do much more then that....well less money and bigger is good just need to find some more info on if it will be an easy fit

sh00k0nes pt. 2

Ready to race!
I got 19x8.5 ET 47 with 225/35/19 tires on coils. I had very slight rubbing in the front with the fender screw mod. So I took the front wheels and examined my fender liner's to see where it was rubbing and it was on the outer part of the liner (away from the engine). So I took the liner out and used some shear's and cut that outer edge off and fixed my rubbing issue. Of course if the rubbing was extreme then I would resort to rolling my fender's, but in this case since it was so minimal, all i had to do is just cut a little bit of the liner off.