GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Peak torque / turbo lag?

Flt93

Passed Driver's Ed
I've never driven a turbo engine before but Ive always heard about turbo lag. I know thats probably been mostly eliminated in the newer turbos but hows the torque curve in this engine? When does it hit peak torque and does this car lack much punch/power below that peak torque?

MAlby7

Oval Newbie
From what I hear there is no turbolag in the new GTI. Torque kicks in @ 1800RPM and has a flat curve and doesn' drop off until about 5000-5500RPM.

kosmo6

Ready to race!
Yeah, between all the electronic bypass controls and the direct fuel injection there is virtually no turbo lag (and gobs of torque). I can attest to that from my drives in them.
I'm a torque junky used to an old V8 Mustang, and I must say that the torque satisfies even me. I considered an '06 Civic Si, but in most driving situations it just doesn't compare.

ChalkyWhite

Drag Race Newbie
Tune in to the Top Gear review by Jeremy Clarkson within the Videos section of this site. It was recorded in Nov 2004, and JC mentions that there is no turbo lag, and excellent torque all over the gearbox, even in 6th.

I am most impressed with the instant availability of power on mine. Turbo lag <> Golf GTI mk5 !!!! (<> means does not equal, btw)

Some power curves can be found here: http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/rollingroad/rr.ukmkiv_14.01.06.html

35NYR

Ready to race!
ChalkyWhite said:
Tune in to the Top Gear review by Jeremy Clarkson within the Videos section of this site. It was recorded in Nov 2004, and JC mentions that there is no turbo lag, and excellent torque all over the gearbox, even in 6th.

I am most impressed with the instant availability of power on mine. Turbo lag <> Golf GTI mk5 !!!! (<> means does not equal, btw)

Cool video and I'm thrilled to hear theres no turbo lag. So theres really no perceptible lack of power low in the RPM range then? :clap: :clap:

Charis

Ready to race!
35NYR said:
Cool video and I'm thrilled to hear theres no turbo lag. So theres really no perceptible lack of power low in the RPM range then? :clap: :clap:

I test drove one and no, didn't really notice any lag. :thumbsup:

excal06

Autocross Champion
Ok, here is a newbie question.I tried to look but came up with nothing.
What does it mean by "Horsepower (SAE) @ rpm: 200 @ 5,100-6,000 (147 kW @ 5,100-6,000)". Does it mean that the turbo kicks in after the 5100 rpm? If not, at what rpm will the turbo kicks in?

Thanks alot for the answers in advance :smile:

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
Two totally different measures. Your turbo kicks in the torque at about 1800 rpm (which gives you pretty good acceleration) and it will continue to give you the same torque all the way to around 5000k then the hp kicks in as the torque goes down. So actually, it's pretty well designed.
However in comparison to everyone else, I think I have noticed a slight lag in the turbo. Yes slight, but present. If you are around 3k rpm and you punch it you will get a nice little acceleration, but you will notice even more power about 700 rpms later. No matter where I get on it at it seems like the turbo is working, but then it works even harder after a split second. Perhaps just enough time to feed off the exhaust a little more. Or is it because I'm getting more exhaust after punching it?

GTT

Touring Car Champion
Actually, if you look at the dyno torque curves, the torque is NOT even or flat all across the rev band. There is a pretty good sized peak early on, and that's really nice for the feeling of instant torque off the line, Kudo's to Audi/VW engineers.

So, the torque curve is very broad, but not equal of "flat" along the rev band.
In real world application, it's darn sweet.

T

GTT

Touring Car Champion
T1noandaudi said:
for some reason when im in 6th gear i cant really accelerate crazy; i have to shift down to 5 to get better acceleration.
but then i have an A3 lol.

Very normal. 6th in the A3 and GTI and A4 for that matter, are overdrive gears designe to keep rpm low at higher constant crusing speeds. It helps give higher MPG as well as a relaxed feel with lower rpm thus lower engine noise.

T

the_saint

Touring Car Champion
I test drove a GLI (the GTI testdrive never left 4th gear...I <3 twisties! lol) on the highway. It easily got up to and above highway merging speeds going up the onramp in 6th gear. It never lugged or felt weak. I was shocked that a 4 cyl. engine could do that.

GTT

Touring Car Champion
the_saint said:
I test drove a GLI (the GTI testdrive never left 4th gear...I <3 twisties! lol) on the highway. It easily got up to and above highway merging speeds going up the onramp in 6th gear. It never lugged or felt weak. I was shocked that a 4 cyl. engine could do that.

Depends at what speed you tried this. But, accelerating in 6th gear from a low speed is not a good idea as that is lugging the engine and putting more strain on it that necessary.
That's why you lower gears that are much more efficient for acceleration.:wink:

T

T1noandaudi

Passed Driver's Ed
GTT said:
Very normal. 6th in the A3 and GTI and A4 for that matter, are overdrive gears designe to keep rpm low at higher constant crusing speeds. It helps give higher MPG as well as a relaxed feel with lower rpm thus lower engine noise.

T

cool. thanks for the info.
but i'am impressed how the 2.0T can accelerate decently in 5th gear.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
That was very true with turbo cars of long ago. Technology has come leaps ahead.
The VW/Audi 1.8t's and 2.0t's are from 1800-5500 a very flat curve. You won't even notice!
I've have driven new technology and old and the latest is kick butt/haul ass!