GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

R32 spring options with Bilstien b8 struts

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
I've got a situation. With the TT-RS front brakes installed on the r32 I'm rubbing at deep compression during normal driving because of the wheel offset. Currently running stock wheels - 18x7.5 et51. Snow tires mounted on these. Same specs as normal - 225/40/18. I had to add a 10mm spacer to clear the BBK caliper, leaving me at et41. This is enough to hit the top of the fender during some driving situations. Not good since I'm stock height.

I removed the front top fender screws - the so called "fender screw mod" - but I'm still hitting occasionally. All this rubbing is bad because these mk5 fenders have the typical rust spots and flakey paint just inside the front fenders from the previous owners and time and salt in the northern states.

On Friday I'm going to see if we can safely roll the fenders without flaking the paint. (My body shop guy is also going to be widening the gti fenders to allow for another 10-15mm of tire but that's a different problem!) my hope is rolling will stop me from hitting anything like my fender liner even under full compression with stock height and stock wheels plus the 10mm spacer.

My question is if anyone knows/can speculate about what springs might fit on the b8 struts that keeps me stock ish height while increasing the ratios to keep me stiffer and avoid hitting fender. Since most aftermarket springs are going for lowering also (not a lot of name brand options for r32s anyways) I was looking at OEM applications springs for things like the Audi RS3 and TTS because they're similar makes or weights or configurations.

In the end, being an idiot, if I can use my show wheels on this car I'd be happy but that seems unlikely without also professionally widening these fenders like the gti's because the wheels are 19x8.5 et35 on 235/35/19. The upside of these BBS wheels is no spacer needed and plenty of caliper clearance. And they're light! But If I'm lowered AND upsized tires/wheels it's going to destroy the fenders since we're hitting st stock height.

Tldr: looking for stiff springs that are basically OEM height or minimal drop that will keep my fenders from ever touching my tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
After more research it looks like it might work to use VWR Golf R springs. Hopeful.

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
I got b8 struts and vwr springs. Looks like the struts don't come with dust boot covers so I used the OEM ones. I need to see if we can secure the bottoms somehow - any suggestions would be appreciated - right now they are hanging loose

blkmaggtsp74

Ready to race!
I'm surprised you're hitting fenders with that setup. I had 18x8 et35 with 225/40 with my b8's and h&r springs. And never did i rub while driving the shit out of that car. I had the mkv version b8(stiff) and the 1.4tsi-engine we have in EU. Being much lighter in the front might have been what kept me from rubbing.
And yes, had to re-use the oem dust covers that moved around and barely did any good.

silversquirrel

Passed Driver's Ed
I got b8 struts and vwr springs. Looks like the struts don't come with dust boot covers so I used the OEM ones. I need to see if we can secure the bottoms somehow - any suggestions would be appreciated - right now they are hanging loose

I used the stock plastic cup that sits on the strut body and the boot hooks on to. You have to enlarge the hole to fit over the larger bilstein shaft. I used a dremmel cutoff wheel, iirc. or maybe a jigsaw. I forget.

The rear boot "tube" fits, but is snug, and will wear the paint off the shock body where it touches. After my revalve, I touched up the paint and used some generic boots. A stock Tig. rear boot tube will work too. Tigs have a fatter rear shock body than regular mkv. so it wont rub paint on a b8

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
Hmmm I might have lost my stock stuff - I know it was mostly broken so I said to just scrap it. I'll have to see if I can salvage the stock cups to hold the boots down.

Thanks for the advice!

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
I'm surprised you're hitting fenders with that setup. I had 18x8 et35 with 225/40 with my b8's and h&r springs. And never did i rub while driving the shit out of that car. I had the mkv version b8(stiff) and the 1.4tsi-engine we have in EU. Being much lighter in the front might have been what kept me from rubbing.
And yes, had to re-use the oem dust covers that moved around and barely did any good.

I have 19s in et35 and upsized tires and the heaviest version of the mk5 so thus probably the difference.