GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Price/brand downpipe

Mscholl47

I recently just bought a 06 gti 2.0t so I'm new to the turbo game and this is my first thread. I used to have a 97 vr6 which I loved and did a couple upgrades. But anyway I have a list of things I'm going to do to the gti 1. P3 Integrated Digital Vent Gauge 2. 3" magna-flow exhaust 3. Apr flash 4. 3" down pipe 4. Suspension. In which I'll be doing little things in between that list. But I was looking at http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186778 and saw the down pipe section and the ones that were suggested were under $400. I used a 42 draft design test pipe and magna-flow cat back exhaust for my vr6 and loved it!!! But the 42 DD down pipe is $800 for the gti. Are a majority of people using down pipes that are cheaper or should I just pay the $800 for a great product? Any help and ideas would be appreciated. Thanks:help:

U.G.MKV

Stealth mode
Car(s)
2007 mkv
I've installed a few different dp's and I will say the atp fits very well.

Mscholl47

If I get a downpipe for under $300 and then put a magna flow exhaust will it sound throaty and deep? My worst fear is to have a raspy vw

fastwire

Ready to race!
a 2006 with 170k miles, will need a new DP gasket or the old one is reusable?

anybody knows if the old gasket tears appart in some cases?

oem DP never swapped. thx in advance

Strieg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI BPY
a 2006 with 170k miles, will need a new DP gasket or the old one is reusable?

anybody knows if the old gasket tears appart in some cases?

oem DP never swapped. thx in advance

I've reused my stock one twice now, but it is recommended to replace each time. I'll be replacing mine when I upgrade again.
They're like 10$, and the one from IE is good quality.

Elliott

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 GOLF GTI MKV
Only cheap part I have in my car is dp from eBay (China) but it's a decat so at the end of the day it a pipe. I've had no issues with welds or anything and bolted up for me just great. Others have reported problems but mine has been good for more than 2 years now. The majority that do run these don't get issues. Just advices to buy an o clamp from else where as the one that comes with is junk.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I've installed a few different dp's and I will say the atp fits very well.
x2 on this

I had the ATP on my '09 GTI and it fit perfectly

If I get a downpipe for under $300 and then put a magna flow exhaust will it sound throaty and deep? My worst fear is to have a raspy vw

Sounds super deep at idle, but can get a little raspy in the higher RPM's (catless downpipe)

VEE-DUBBER

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
CW 09 Gti
Last night i removed my ATP and installed the APR cast downpipe. Money VERY well spent. The car sounds so much more refined, lost the tinny/buzzy noise, and that horrible Vband ATP uses which leaks. Obviously the price is so low for a reason with ATP, which i fully expected when I installed new in January. I kept the stock resonator and muffler because well....no need to expliain on a 4 cylinder. ATP still sounded a little raspy but was liveable. Now it is perfect.

I took a bunch of photos and will give a detailed review of the APR downpipe when I get home from work. I don't think it's been installed on any other mk5s as of yet.

Last edited: