GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY Rear Wiper Delete

Justin Fox

Ready to race!
I've done this on a few cars in the past (my R32 GT-R, DC2R Integra, EG Civic, ED Civic), not so much for weight saving, but more for a clean look.

I did a search on here and found that the DIY at the top of the list in the sticky thread is no longer working so I've done my own:

Pull the finishing cap off from the base/bottom. It'll come off easily with your hands.

Remove the 13mm bolt.

Getting the rear wiper off is the hardest part of the job as it's wedged in there. Spray a lot of WD40 on it and either wait or continue with the following steps and come back to it later. You will need to pry it off carefully. I ended up using a fat spanner covered in a T-Shirt (to prevent damage), wedged underneath it and I pried it slowly left side, then right and vice versa until it came off. I was patient enough and it took me about 5 minutes before it finally popped off.

On the inside remove the 2 plastic screws from inside the boot handles.

Pulling it off requires some force but trying to evenly apply that force is the hard part. The whole piece is just clipped in but getting a good handle to get the un-clipping going is the hard part. I started with the top left corner by pulling hard on that handle, it finally came off (makes a very loud noise when the clip does release) and from there un-clipped it towards the right, got the right corner off then the rest came off easily.

Location of all the clips.

Close-up of a clip.

The wiper motor: Remove the water hose + wiring harness (simply lift plastic tab and slide off for both). Remove the 3 10mm bolts holding down the motor and remove the motor completely.

Motor removed.

Zip tie the harness + hose together to prevent rattling.

Wiper assembly removed. Total weight 1.02kg.

Wiper delete plug from JDMyard.com

It's threaded.

I had to get into MacGuyver Mode. I scrounged around the man cave and found a few good bits: An allen key bolt, a red washer made of rubber, something you would find in the plumbing section at your local hardware store. A carbon bicycle headset spacer and also a carbon fibre bicycle stem top cap.

This is how it all came together in the end on the underside (note: I will be applying silicone all around this to prevent leaks).

And how it looks on the outside.

argue53

Go Kart Champion
great write up

MasterGunnZ

The sex
Car(s)
GTI
Don't you need vag com to turn the rear wiper off ?

Justin Fox

Ready to race!
wow very nice write up. Is your plug sticking out a tiny bit?
It's not 100% flush with the glass if that's what you mean but it's thicker in the centre than it is on the edges. More like a dome rather than a flat head.

Don't you need vag com to turn the rear wiper off ?
100% no. Water does not squirt either if you accidentally operate your rear wiper stalk.