GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

should i plasti-dip?

bry_gti

Reverse Driving Champion
hey guys!
my car is going to be 1 year old tomorrow! i made it through the year with about 13k in mileage... not too bad i suppose. Anyway! i was thinking about plasti-dipping my grille because i wanna do something for my car because it's going to be 1, but i don't have the fundage to do anything huge.
will it look good on BMP?
how difficult is it for someoen with now spray paint experience?
is plasti dip forgiving in the sense that you can't pick up on any unevenness?

thanks!
all the best,
bry_gti

its easy, but i think the best way to go would be to pick up a jetta grill, sand that, and plastidip it. It tends to look better, and at least you still have your stock grill.

I dipped the black glossy part of the grille as well as the pointless colormatched markers under the headlights. I gave it 5 coats and it looks great.

TIPS:
-start spray away from grille and drag the whole way until youre off the grille again, then stop spray. this will make it nice and even instead of making it look gross and patchy.
-obviously clean the grille as much as possible beforehand. any blemish will show.
-you dont NEED to sand the grille. I didnt and it looks great.
-if youre keeping the red stripe, leave it on and slide painters tape between the grille and the strip. Makes it much easier to remove tape (plastidip wants to pull up with tape usually but for some reason, didnt for me when i did this)

I've washed my car twice since I did it at a pressure spray carwash (I'm a whore for clean cars) and of course the first time i didnt blast away at the grille but the second time i was slightly aggressive with it, still no peeling :). Just dont put the nozzle up to the grille to blast that bug or whatever off of it, wipe and sprinkle

kevvve

TÜ MÄDR3
I dipped the black glossy part of the grille as well as the pointless colormatched markers under the headlights. I gave it 5 coats and it looks great.

TIPS:
-start spray away from grille and drag the whole way until youre off the grille again, then stop spray. this will make it nice and even instead of making it look gross and patchy.
-obviously clean the grille as much as possible beforehand. any blemish will show.
-you dont NEED to sand the grille. I didnt and it looks great.
-if youre keeping the red stripe, leave it on and slide painters tape between the grille and the strip. Makes it much easier to remove tape (plastidip wants to pull up with tape usually but for some reason, didnt for me when i did this)

I've washed my car twice since I did it at a pressure spray carwash (I'm a whore for clean cars) and of course the first time i didnt blast away at the grille but the second time i was slightly aggressive with it, still no peeling :). Just dont put the nozzle up to the grille to blast that bug or whatever off of it, wipe and sprinkle

wow dude you fail! congrats though.

Kricket

v-dubber, once again...
i swear to god this forum is turning into the vortex - a cesspool of teenaged-minded kids pointing and laughing - even at good information

this guy comes to the forum and uses the search function (like he should) - to post good information in the correct thread (like he should) - and the response is laughter because the thread is old

newsflash - thats how information works on the internet - just because a thread is old - that doesnt mean that we should just disregard it - we keep the threads around because you can search through them and find information

stop acting like little kids - seriously - it makes everyone on this forum look bad

i miss the days when this forum was first started - and all we had were people posting good information

now, we get posts like:
- ha ha! fail!
- derp derp derp
- moar lo
- wow this thread is old!

its starting to get like im passing through the mental ward at some low-grade hospital...

/rant

EDIT - a bunch of seals sitting together clapping and grunting - i think thats a better analogy for where this board is headed