GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front end repair or replacement...??

slow91

Car Audio Guru
Does anyone know of a way to repair license plate bracket holes in the front nose piece of an R...? I removed the bracket and to my dismay saw about 7 or 8 eight holes under the bracket...WTF....!!:frown: (Just purchased the car a couple of days ago)

If there is not a "like new" method of repairing, then I will put the piece in the classified section for a couple hundred bucks to recoup some of the money $$ I'm going to be set back in purchasing a new one from ECS Tuning. I believe they are almost $700 with shipping.

Btw, before I get flamed for passing off a less then perfect piece to a fellow member, let me assure you it is "near perfect" except for the holes under the license plate bracket. I can post pics when I get home from work. Someone that may need to replace one that's cracked or scratched would be in luck. I however, will NEVER put a front license plate on any of my vehicles....lol...:paddle:

slow91

Car Audio Guru
That sucks. Fill 'em, sand the whole thing and refinish it or buy a different one.

I considered that, but honestly don't think refinishing would be as classy looking as the brushed factory look. So, unless a company makes a pre-molded brushed vinyl...I may HAVE to buy a new one.

Genome

Hippest Teacher. Ever.
If you have an R32, you can trade in the grill for a new one without holes. But if you have a GTI with an R32 front, best way to do it is to find a friend with an R32 and see if they will trade it for you, if they haven't done it themselves already

White Lotus

My friends call me Chad
Car(s)
2008 Candy White R32
OP- VW drilled those holes by mistake. Since not all states require that you have a front license plate, the cars were supposed to be drilled at the dealers to mount the front plates if the state required them. It's been gone over before on this forum, just take your car to the dealer and request a grille w/o holes. I can't promise they'll approve it, but I would recommend going to each dealer in your area before I took no for an answer. Here's my invoice from when I had it done.... feel free to share it with them but they should know whats up.

Attachments

• grille.jpg
    grille.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 504

bonix

Ready to race!
assuming you have an R32, the free replacement at the dealer expired last year. afaik youll have to pay no matter how you get it done

White Lotus

My friends call me Chad
Car(s)
2008 Candy White R32
assuming you have an R32, the free replacement at the dealer expired last year. afaik youll have to pay no matter how you get it done

I tried :frown:

Maybe watch Ebay then I guess? That sucks...