GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

More Clowning Around: R32

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
Idk dude, mine’s at 240k & not too much going wrong at all. Def had more issues with 2.0t & was glad to get rid of it. My .:R was (& continues to be) well maintained. Gonna run it into the ground rather then get some newer overpriced POS.

I just keep changing the oil and dsg fluid frequently and listen for drivetrain noises. I like to think mine is pretty well maintained. It still looks casually new. I keep a look out for new headlights tornado red fenders:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
New issue. Was so excited about my fixed car I started driving around with the windows down in 95 degree weather. Biking, sweating, using the car. The car got mad and dropped the headliner in the span of two days. I have a huge tent in my roof now. R32 headliners are a discontinued part. Probably half the headliner just entirely let go. So aftermarket aka interior refinish shop or redye an oem piece. Either way. A lot of money for a car I’m starting to not like.

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
Got annoyed at the headliner so I put in a headunit to play the muzak. Wireless CarPlay is cool.

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
Headliner replaced. It’s not a perfect match but it’s close, the pattern and texture is good and it’s not a match because it’s more black - my interior is a little sun faded since it’s 2008...

No more saggy tops. Also replaced a turn signal bulb pair. Hopefully that’s it for maintenance for a while...

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
Unmmmmmmmm. So I got home from the interior shop, cleaned out the car briefly because they left some crud from the install and pulled the car back into the garage.

And a goddamned light error came on. For a useless ass front parking light bulb, which isn’t even enabled in a NA car.

Fuck this thing.

To recap, two wheel bearings, sagging headliner, bad alternator bad turn signal bulb and now this other useless bulb. I have a roll of black electrical tape I’m about to utilize.

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
Did you buy a whole headliner or source some fabric

Sourced some fabric because they discontinued black 2 door with sunroof headliners for mk5. There are still other combos but not that particular one - aka no oem mk5 r32 headliners anymore.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Got annoyed at the headliner so I put in a headunit to play the muzak. Wireless CarPlay is cool.

Not sure if it will be an issue or not, but when I went with an aftermarket head unit in my 2006, something to do with the gateway or canbus (it's been a while since the tech explained it to me haha) caused the unit to have a constant, low draw. My battery never lasted more than 2 years.

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
Not sure if it will be an issue or not, but when I went with an aftermarket head unit in my 2006, something to do with the gateway or canbus (it's been a while since the tech explained it to me haha) caused the unit to have a constant, low draw. My battery never lasted more than 2 years.

Hmm. I’ll have to break out the voltmeter and check my can-bus with vsgcom also. I was hoping that most of my issues with canbus would be alleviated by 2008 and newer but you’re right. With all my other little maintenance issues I should double check something that might be self inflicted....

707Stang

I'm Hella From Nor*Cal
Hmm. I’ll have to break out the voltmeter and check my can-bus with vsgcom also. I was hoping that most of my issues with canbus would be alleviated by 2008 and newer but you’re right. With all my other little maintenance issues I should double check something that might be self inflicted....

I think it’s the k-line for that. People that swapped the premium 8 out for an RCD510, RNS-510 or RNS-315 had issues with a draw.

Hopefully I don’t have the same issue with the radio I have I need to get installed . The one that has one CD and Apple CarPlay and android auto cant think of the model...

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
Ahh okay. I’ve had a RCD-510 for several years with no issues so I should be okay... that was my thinking anyways. It replaced a OEM+ something something (had Bluetooth but no touchscreen) which replaced the original premium 8

My city light error magically turned off today! Maybe the humidity helped. Loose wiring? Which is probably worse...

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
An I crazy to be seriously considering a supercharger instead of a new car? I’d end up spending probably double on a new daily or I could have a slightly ridiculous daily that is admittedly sort of childish. But supercharged and stock looking.

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
I dig it

VF kit?

Not sure which kit yet. Not turbo because daily and linear power is nice and easy. More fun, if I do a turboset up it might be interesting but obviously way more changes for blowing things up.

Last edited:

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
I am camping 3/4 weekends in October. Had to take pictures of it never happened right? The real Wookiee in the woods.