GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My MKV GTI struggle

MK6_604

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2011 GTI 3 Door
I bought my 2007 GTI back in November of 2018 and it has given me quite a few problems since. It started with the HPFP and cam follower issue. The cam follower was worn completely down and the metal pieces from it scarred the cam. I had to get the cam replaced along with the HPFP and obviously the cam follower. More recently I had the timing belt, water pump, cam position sensor and crank sensor replaced which is great, it had to be done regardless because the car has 145,000 kms on it. The focal point of this post is an issue that came up within the last few weeks...

Note: I initially brought my car to my mechanic to scan a check engine light which turned out to be the P0016 code

After picking the car up from my mechanic for it's timing belt service I began to drive away and I noticed that when I put my foot down there is no boost whatsoever. The turbo had been leaking quite a bit of oil which has given me reason to believe that the turbo is seized because it was starved of oil. The strange part is that I have never seen my car leaking oil, or seen/smelled burning oil from the exhaust even though I have noticed that my car had been consuming a lot of oil recently.

I am hoping that the boost issue is 'only' either a failed DV or PCV, and not full out turbo failure.

It is also worth noting that I got a check engine light within 5 minutes of driving after my timing belt service. I got the timing re-checked and got the check engine light scanned. As of right now it still reads the dreaded P0016 code even though the timing is perfect.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

PS, sorry for the scattered nature of my thoughts in this post, I'll gladly answer any questions to fill in any missing details.

PPS, I would work on the car myself but I lack the space and time to do it.

MK6_604

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2011 GTI 3 Door
Update

I had the timing re-checked and it was perfect. Turns out the turbo was seized up due to oil starvation and carbon build up from the engine gumming up the turbo. All seems to be well for now.

Still weird how the car was throwing the P0016 code...

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Did you recheck the timing yourself or the mechanic? Did mechanic need to make a boat payment this month?