GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cam chain and tensioner noise

vojtechson

Passed Driver's Ed
As you know the bore of the adjuster is originally smooth if you have worn deep groves or damaged areas I would replace it. You could also just replace the oil control rings and see how it goes considering it was still working until you did the servicing to the chain and tensioner.

Oh.... that gives me only one option, I thought the grooves were meant to be there, they are quite deep, I'd say 0.1-0.15 mm....so I'm going to order Repair Set For Camshaft Adjuster - With Housing 06F198088D
brand new and shiny.... well, maybe it has happened for the best.
Thank you guys for the help :))

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
You can purchase the oil control rings separately from the housing if you want to go that route.

vojtechson

Passed Driver's Ed
You can purchase the oil control rings separately from the housing if you want to go that route.

It's been damaged quite badly on the groove where last ring sits + it comes with new N205 (which I have broken where pins are) so I better change whole assembly to have peace of mind.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Just to add; if the cam phaser/adjuster is grooved, the grooves can cause the rings to catch and break when the cover is put on...and the rings slide into the center bore of the phaser/adjuster. Even if the phaser/adjuster is not grooved, the outer most ring can break when it is initially introduced to the opening of the center bore, if not oriented properly and gently worked into the opening. More so when the rings are not new and are more likely to be brittle.