GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK5 GLI sway bars upgrade advice

sauron18

Hey need help with this. My mechanic told me i need to change the front sway bar because the bushings are shot. I was thinking of putting the poly bushing in the front sway bar and get an upgraded rear sway bar 23-24mm with poly bushings.

Someone advice me not to put the poly bushing because they needs to be changed more often and make a rough ride. Also my GLI is lowered with Neuspeed sport springs 1.5" don't know if i need to get some adjustable end links or OEM end links, i think my car felt fine with the OEM. I don't plan to lower the car more than that is plenty low for me.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Assuming you are putting poly on stock sway bar, ride should be about the same. Might get a tiny bit more road noise. Cost of poly is same as an OEM kit for bushings, go poly if you are going to go with a rear sway.

No need for adjustable endlinks if your OEMs are working.

Adding a stiffer rear sway will help keep the car flatter in cornering but you will make the ride rougher. The stiffer the sway bar the more of everything that is transferred to the other side. I would do it as it will noticeably improve handling.

sauron18

Assuming you are putting poly on stock sway bar, ride should be about the same. Might get a tiny bit more road noise. Cost of poly is same as an OEM kit for bushings, go poly if you are going to go with a rear sway.

No need for adjustable endlinks if your OEMs are working.

Adding a stiffer rear sway will help keep the car flatter in cornering but you will make the ride rougher. The stiffer the sway bar the more of everything that is transferred to the other side. I would do it as it will noticeably improve handling.

GIACUser thanks for the response. Yes i'm planning to use the front stock sway bar and put poly on it. For the rear i will get a 23/24mm sway bar. It's safe to use poly on the front/rear sway bars? I'm worried about the rough ride or have less life span than the rubber bushings.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
GIACUser thanks for the response. Yes i'm planning to use the front stock sway bar and put poly on it. For the rear i will get a 23/24mm sway bar. It's safe to use poly on the front/rear sway bars? I'm worried about the rough ride or have less life span than the rubber bushings.

It is an inexpensive part, easy to change and the life span should be in the length of quite a few years. You decide.

Also if you drive in an area where road quality can be rough, going with a larger sway bar will amplify the roughness of the roads significantly. A sway bar ties together both left and right so when one side hits a bump part of that is transferred to the other side. The stiffer you make the bar, the more of that impact will be transferred. You may want to think about the rear sway bar.

If you are running the car where road conditions can often be rough the best approach to improve handling would be to go with all stock sway bars and upgrade your dampners/springs and insure that they are full travel. So if you run Eibach sportline springs, be sure and shocks that are designed for the shorter springs.