GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Upgrading my headunit

Pugs51

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 UG GTI MKV
Hey guys, I'm finally interested in upgrading my stock Premium 7 head unit in my 09. I'm mainly looking for something Double Din under $300 so it doesn't need GPS. I would like my SAT radio to work since I'm paying a yearly subscription for it. Touch screen would be nice and something maybe VW genuine would be ideal since I do not want to worry about any off brand head unit problems. Also, Bluetooth for my phone if it doesn't have an aux or USB plug in for my iPhone.

Thanks for any suggestions!

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
RCD330 - look it up on eBay

or a RCD-510 is also really cheap but has less features and requires a separate Bluetooth module.

Both of those can be had for under $250 though.

Pugs51

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 UG GTI MKV
Nevermind guys. I found people on MKVI forum taking about it and bought it from a reliable eBay user.

Mikevalido

Hey guys so I installed my RCD330+ today and I figured I’d share some feedback in case anyone was wondering how it is.. and I’ve honestly gotta say it’s awesome!! Car play is by far my favorite feature of this headunit. It connects super fast and I love how responsive the screen is. Music sounds great and Bluetooth works great as well. Installation was super easy, literally took me 20 minutes to swap out the stock unit and put this one in.

Only thing that isn’t great is that my steering wheel controls no longer work, but that can be fixed by upgrading to a newer steering wheel control module or whatever it’s called, so I’m not all that bummed out about it.

Regardless, I’d seriously recommend this headunit to anyone who’s thinking about it. You won’t regret it!

2009 GTI btw[emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
Awesome, I might have to do this. Any other info on the newer steering wheel module? I don't really care about tuning the radio or even the phone button, but I'd miss the volume control.

Pugs51

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 UG GTI MKV

Hey guys so I installed my RCD330+ today and I figured I’d share some feedback in case anyone was wondering how it is.. and I’ve honestly gotta say it’s awesome!! Car play is by far my favorite feature of this headunit. It connects super fast and I love how responsive the screen is. Music sounds great and Bluetooth works great as well. Installation was super easy, literally took me 20 minutes to swap out the stock unit and put this one in.

Only thing that isn’t great is that my steering wheel controls no longer work, but that can be fixed by upgrading to a newer steering wheel control module or whatever it’s called, so I’m not all that bummed out about it.

Regardless, I’d seriously recommend this headunit to anyone who’s thinking about it. You won’t regret it!

2009 GTI btw[emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I 100% second this... This was my favorite purchase for my 2009 to this day and I've had it for 6 years.

praxidike

I have the RCD330 in my car and I upgraded to a MK6 MFSW to since my steering had no buttons. You can keep your MK5 wheel but you'll need to upgrade to a CH SWCM which you can get on ebay.

I moved my USB with a plug from Double Apex and I keep phone under the climate controls.

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
Awesome and welcome to the forum. I'm almost certainly going to do this upgrade (from premium 7) and just want to see the full picture as far as components needed for 2008 and earlier to have steering wheel controls, so your post is very helpful. I'll do some more research and this may very well turn into a megathread like vortex and mk6 forums have regarding this unit.

Sarmad_elias

Hi

Can anyone help me with mk5 2006 regarding upgrading to rcd330 plus
What is can bus and is it required to be changed? Can i use just can bus simulator?

Note: my gti is 06 and doesn’t have stearing controls please advise if i would have any drainage issue?

Hope someone can help been doing lots of research and not finding the correct answers

StarsMars

Also interested in installing one of the RCD330's.

I have an 08. Says I will need a can bus adapter.

"Please be noted-

If you have a car make before year 2009, you will need to replace the CAN gateway to avoid battery drain.
If car makes before 2009, its multi steering wheel buttons can not control this stereo
."

So where can I get the needed can gateway or adapter?
Where can I get the correct steering wheel control module?