GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cobalt SS: Project 25G

fastgti69

M3 Eater
Good Lord that turbo is big compared to what you had!

Yea, it's much bigger. The lag is crazy too compared to what I was used to with the EFR. Journal bearing vs Ceramic BB turbo is a huge difference. I'm only at 12 psi and it's crazy how it feels. It's barely sneezing, if it's at 20 I don't know LOL

What caused the other turbo to shred itself?

I wish I knew man. Maybe unbalanced correctly? Borg Warner has had problems with the EFR line from the beginning and It caught up to this turbo twice. It was rebuilt once before.

Millennium Falcon

Ready to race!
Ya it took my dad and I about that much to do my turbo swap last month, just about custom everything! Dirty air might have caused the fan blades to do that, I called up garrett and ask when I saw a few blades mangled, nothing like yours, holy shit btw, but ya. Are you ganna post some numbers when you're done tuning, if so, when?!?!

fastgti69

M3 Eater
Ya it took my dad and I about that much to do my turbo swap last month, just about custom everything! Dirty air might have caused the fan blades to do that, I called up garrett and ask when I saw a few blades mangled, nothing like yours, holy shit btw, but ya. Are you ganna post some numbers when you're done tuning, if so, when?!?!

Well BW has had issues with the first gen of EFR's which this is one of them. It's already been rebuilt because it has blown before. This is the second time. My compressor blades are flawless, it was just due to the EFR bad luck. I'll be done tuning on 91 in a couple of weeks. Maybe dyno in a month or two.

alerxovawo

Ready to race!
Awesome build thread! I hope you get everything working soon!

fastgti69

M3 Eater
Haven't updated in a while... Tomorrow I'm going to go and do the charge pipe work myself. My buddy Alerosaint is helping me out and hooking me up with the lift. Hopefully this fixes the issue or at least we can figure it out etc.

Anyways... you know you're addicted to modding when you buy another mod even though your car isn't fixed yet LOL. I bought some used cams with the large fuel lobe. Next is some valvesprings, rods and pistons. 600whp maybe?

Last edited:

fastgti69

M3 Eater
Motor swap took longer than expected LOL as usual nothing goes as planned. Well my tuner came through as you all know.

He definitely knows what he's doing. We got to the shop in Baldwin park called Your dream garage. Wow that place has everything you need. It was pretty big and the owners are one of the nicest people. They welcome you like it's your garage, and you're the owner. Anyways, here are some pics and details on the whole swap.

My tuner was like okay, you start on yours and I'll start mine. I'm like uhhhh what? Idk how to do shit. He looks at me like... oh crap this is not going to be easy. He told me to start taking out all wiring and harness etc. So I did.

When I finally got all the harness off like so:

He was already doing this...

And pulled the whole motor/cradle out in less than 2 fucking hours. Everyone at the shop was like... who the hell is this guy!?

I'm struggling to take out all the cradle bolts, engine mounts, and the damn heater hoses behind the engine holy crap that was hard. He's there changing the TOB/clutch slave and cleaning it up.

I finally get the engine out after 6 hours... Look at that fat sexy turbo. BTW, the first guy installed my turbo totally fucked up the wastegate so we had to align it and add more preload. And, I had a huge exhaust leak because 3 out of 4 bolts were loose on the exhaust mani connecting to the turbo. I believe those were my problems from before with boosting etc.

There was a TT z06 getting some stuff done by the owner. It was pretty fucking badass 800whp in a z06
is nuts.

I helped my tuner with the head and stuff even tho I didn't know shit. The tools we had were magnetic so it was very hard for him to do the valvepsrings. We had to remove the head and do it that way. We did that on day 2 which was never planned. This was all supposed to be done on sunday.

You can see the Wiseco forged pistons, barely broken in 3k miles on the motor. You can still see some clean spots on the piston. You can see the darton sleeves in there as well!

Finally swapped the motors:

After doing so we finished up my tuners car first to get it off the lift this is the third day BTW. Same clothes as day 1 and everything. Non of this was planned to go longer than sunday so we were shit tired on the third day. We were done at like 2.

We ran into a problem when we went for a test drive... looks like the CV join in the axle broke and binded over night and broke. One on my car and one on his.

You can see the oil around the joint etc. So we had to special order these parts, i took off my other good axle and gave it to my tuner. He had to leave to northcal but he might come back to check up if I need anything. I ordered 2 new axles and I'm going to put it all in myself.

I've learned so much in these past 3 days it's unbelievable. This is truly a one time life experience I will never forget. Before this if someone asked me to put the axle in i'd be like uhh no. After what I did, I'm confident I can put the axle it. Easy 30 minute job haha.

Anyways, here is the first start up of the beast. The car is soo much louder/beefier deeper. It sounds like a monster, I can't wait to drive it and tune it and feel the real boost!

Cobalt SS Motor Swap Startup - YouTube