GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cleanest looking Double-Din Dash Kit?

pinkslip

Barely Passed Driver's Ed
I'm in the middle of painting my double din nav dash trim kit (American International best kit). I am following the DIY for this, but I'm concerned about the lack of clear coat used in the DIY. People have got good results matching the factory dash with off-the-shelf flat black spray paint.

But would I get the same finish and results if I went the extra step and clearcoated the paint with a matte clear? Would it not match the same as the flat paint? If it didn't match up well, could I easily sand off the flat clear and refinish with another coat of flat paint?

I'm looking at something like this:
http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=164

BodegaBay

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Try just the black matte spray first. I think you'll be surprised how close it is to OEM. I personally use PlastiKote Vinyl Color aerosol can 405 Flat Black. I've tried many flat blacks -including SEM- but none of them goes on plastics or match to OEM black parts as the PlastiKote. It sprays on razor thin so you can build up as you desire. It sticks more like a dye vs surface paint. It's available at most big store auto parts stores such as PepBoys.

If you still want the clearcoat on, you can always spray it afterwards But I'm really skeptical about any clearcoat because of sheen, even if it's a "matte" clearcoat.

pinkslip

Barely Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the tip on the paint option. I picked up Rustoleum Flat black because some others have supposedly had good results with it.

I still would like to know assuming I applied a matte clear for protective/longevity purposes if it would be reversible without having to sart all over from bare plastic.

It just seems like without a clear, the finish would scratch and chip very easily. It just takes one misguided groping of the dash while driving to accidentally gouge the trim with a finger nail or something.

Cbus mkv

Lowcally Famous
crutchfield.com sooo clean