GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Valentine 1 hardwire install 2007 GTI

nfuzen08

Some of the Tools needed:

1. Torx T-25 - remove a-pillar trim retention bolt)
2. Dental Pick (to remove plug that reads "airbag")
3. Metric Hex set - unhook ground on car battery
4. Voltmeter - to find a switched fuse (one that turns on when you turn on the car), Note: the fuse chart in my owners manual was wrong
5. A fuse tap (if you don't have an empty / but on / fuse )
6. Wire stripper / crimper

First, remove the fuse panel access door, and get your keys in the ignition. The top bolt is a good ground, touch the negative / black voltmeter end to this, and stick the positive terminal / red in the first empty fuse panel. If you turn the key and the voltmeter shows 12 volts, and when you cut the car off, it goes back to 0 volts... !!! bingo. This is your new Valentine switch fuse. Here's what mine looked like.

Now you need to disconnect the negative end of the battery. Once you do that you can remove the cover for the a-pillar. I used an old dental pick to tug on the Airbag logo. Behind it is the t-25 nut that holds the a-pillar cover in place.

The panel looks like this

With the trim removed.. you can see the airbag. Be super careful when removing the trim. and putting it back in place. It will take some time if you have never removed a-pillar trim. If you are a pro it still take 10 minutes. The first time I did this, it took me an hour to get it back on. The 2nd one i did took 20 minutes.

Don't move the seats while you have the battery unplugged or you will need a VAG Com or a trip to the VW dealer to turn off the airbag light.

I finished off the install with the BlendMount specifically designed for the most common VW mirror:

Reconnect the battery when you are done. Now when you crank the ignition, the radar detector should power up.

:word:

Attachments

• 2011-08-04_14-31-25_119.jpg
    2011-08-04_14-31-25_119.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 1,609
  • 2011-08-04_14-16-13_844.jpg
    2011-08-04_14-16-13_844.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 1,569
  • 2011-08-04_14-17-18_863.jpg
    2011-08-04_14-17-18_863.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 1,498
  • 2011-08-04_14-41-41_270.jpg
    2011-08-04_14-41-41_270.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 1,596
  • BV1-2003 WITH MIRROR 3-600.jpg
    BV1-2003 WITH MIRROR 3-600.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 1,611

ClassicRbt

Ready to race!
very clean install! I like how you tucked the wire away with the factory loom. I hate the idea of tucking the wire in front of the airbag.

scGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Is Valentine considered one of the better radar detectors?

Also, I wonder if its be possible to do a stealth install with this? Maybe pop it into the center dash area and cut out a space for the display to pop through.

nfuzen08

Is Valentine considered one of the better radar detectors?

Also, I wonder if its be possible to do a stealth install with this? Maybe pop it into the center dash area and cut out a space for the display to pop through.

Valentine is the best from what i can tell. I replaced a passport due to a failing laser sensor. I found out the expensive way .. er .. um "how fast was I going officer .. " :( . The Valentine can pick up laser "scatter" and here in central TX that is about all the highway patrol uses. I average several hundred miles a week for my job and i have learned this; if the valentine Laser or Ka light goes off.. you better be hittin the brakes. My $.02. The $400 is a good investment if you have a heavy right foot. If you read the Valentine testimonials, the bogey counter is also a very good feature. You might have 3 or 4 police cars lined up, and the V1 tells you how many there are and what type of radar they are using. :word:

idubvdub

Car(s)
Dirty
I just wanted to say thanks so much for posting this. Should be some kinda sticky 'cause it's the best guide I've found on here or the 'tex. Worried I'd have to deal with an airbag light. I used this reference today to hardwire my passport. Diso'd batt after finding ign source and had it done within 90 mins, while enjoying a few beverages and jamming. No problems and it's so much better. Just waiting for my blendmount to arrive. Again thanks

805 .:R-Convert

Valet from Hell
Car(s)
MKV.:R32 2008
Wow, did this exact same thing last month. Definitely much better that the dash mount, although the blend mount was very pricey for what it is. Christmas present from the GF FTW

idubvdub

Car(s)
Dirty
Blendmount arrived and I'm happy with it. Although I have to agree it's way over priced and wish It adjusted 1/4" lower. Suction cups... well just suck. I don't know if it's just the Florida sun. They never last as long as they should and are the last thing on my mind. I always eem to forget to buy and wait for new ones when they wear out and deal with it falling off every now and then. One less thing to worry about/fight with while driving and no more wobble either just an extension of the car.
I picked up their wire hide trim. Waste of $10 personally. It didn't fit, although I have to say I believe the mirror has been replaced and might be slightly off from stock location.
It's just about as easy as taking down as suction cups. However, really does a good job at blending when standing in front of the drivers door. I've always unplugged and pulled the detector down when pulled over in the past. While completely legal and within my rights to use in Fl. Some cops really don't like 'em and (imo) any chance of a break is gone.
I just need to get the auxiliary speaker for it. I notice visually when I get a hit but can't hear sh*t when the music is playing. It would have been nice to install that at the same time as hard wiring but the blendmount ate the budget and it'll have to wait.
Anyways, again seriously dope write up. Really broke it down. Just wanted to share my experience.:tweetz: