GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Canon EF-S 17 - 55 mm F2.8 IS lens - Thoughts?

ShadowGLI

Sandy Vagina Rinser Outer
Car(s)
2006 GLI w/ DSG
So does anyone have this/have used this.

right now I have 3 lenses

Canon EF 28-108 3.5-4.5 USM
Canon EF 50mm f1.8 II
*I forget* 105-300 4.5-5.6

Right now I really don't have anything for "short range" and I was thinking this would fill up to my EF 28 really well (as that is actively a 45+mm Lens since I have an XTi and its not an EF-S.

Its going for roughly $1,000 and I feel like this would give me my low light/ indoor/motion captures I want and good for indoor shots (candids, party's, stitching pictures etc. )

Thoughts?

SoNgMaN

I Void Warranties
Car(s)
2010 4dr UG TDI HL
the EF-s lens still suffer from crop factor they are just designed to work with the digitals with the crop better

Last edited:

ShadowGLI

Car(s)
2006 GLI w/ DSG
Well I just know I used my buddy's 17-55 kit lens and it was taking everything I wanted, I was just concerned about low light situations where the 3.5-4.6 (IIRC) would not really do justice for handheld use, or people moving.

I also don't want to go all the way to the 10-22 wide angle as then I have a gap between the ~22 and ~48 MM set.

Thanks again guys.

SoNgMaN

I Void Warranties
Car(s)
2010 4dr UG TDI HL
Well I just know I used my buddy's 17-55 kit lens and it was taking everything I wanted, I was just concerned about low light situations where the 3.5-4.6 (IIRC) would not really do justice for handheld use, or people moving.

I also don't want to go all the way to the 10-22 wide angle as then I have a gap between the ~22 and ~48 MM set.

Thanks again guys.

you'd only have a 10mm or so gap with your 28-108 as the 10-22 still is 16-35mm effective. the 17-55 is 27-88mm. i have the 17-85 IS USM. it's a great lens, just not as fast as the 17-55

ShadowGLI

Car(s)
2006 GLI w/ DSG
What kind of cropping factor is there on an EF-S vs the 1.6 on the EF?

Is there a concrete #

(the 10-22 is an EF-s as well)

Thanks again guys

SoNgMaN

I Void Warranties
Car(s)
2010 4dr UG TDI HL
it's not lens dependant it is camera dependant. the prosumer canons and some of the mid level cameras use an APS-c size sensor which equates to a 1.6 crop factor for 35mm effective. the EF-s line is designed for and only works with the APS-c cameras but they still suffer the crop because of the sensor.

ShadowGLI

Car(s)
2006 GLI w/ DSG
it's not lens dependant it is camera dependant. the prosumer canons and some of the mid level cameras use an APS-c size sensor which equates to a 1.6 crop factor for 35mm effective. the EF-s line is designed for and only works with the APS-c cameras but they still suffer the crop because of the sensor.

Fancy, I thought they just brought it back to 1:1.. I need to figure this out more.. :rolleyes:

HRISTIN

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI

X2