GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ipod Adapter

RuddyR32

RuddyR32
RNS-510 & existing OEM iPod integration

Hoping someone can help me out here ... I'm looking to install a new RNS-510 into my R, but am a little hesitant since I have a feeling that the new oem iPod integration kit that I have recently installed (connected through the sat radio unit under the passengers seat) will no longer work and I'll have to shell out some more cash to buy a new MDI interface and iPod cable. Can anyone confirm this and/or shed some light on how I might be able to get around this? i.e. - Can I still use the sat radio receiver under the seat (which I will disconnect) to control the iPod and simply get my Sat Radio service transferred to the built in sirius on the RNS-510, or do I have to forget about the old unit under the seat altogether and simply bite the bullet and buy a new MDI kit to control the iPod? I actually really like the OEM iPod kit, which works like a charm to display text on the HU etc ... if you set your ipods playlists to display artists and simply chose tracks this way ...

Thanks in advance for your thoughts :thumbsup:

Richard

GreyFox1382

Hi guys,

Is the gateway 300 what I will need to enable text on my iphone? I have an 07 Rabbit with the 6 disc changer unit, sat radio, and the integrated ipod adapter. I don't mind having to lose the sat radio since I don't have a subscription anyways. Will this enable me to see the text from the integrated ipod adapter or will I need something else?

Almost A Ghost

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 R32
Hi guys,

Is the gateway 300 what I will need to enable text on my iphone? I have an 07 Rabbit with the 6 disc changer unit, sat radio, and the integrated ipod adapter. I don't mind having to lose the sat radio since I don't have a subscription anyways. Will this enable me to see the text from the integrated ipod adapter or will I need something else?

Yes, it will display the text in the MFA (or whatever the LCD display between the speedo and tach is called), but not on the radio itself, it will display the corresponding track numbers.

bigbadvoodooguru

GO LAKERS
Car(s)
VW Rabbit
So for Rabbits without the MFD (Multi Functional Display) it doesnt work.
:( Curses.
I thought all 2009 Rabbits were supposed to come with the MFD but mine doesnt :(
Maybe I heard that from somewhere because I want to whine about it.

Almost A Ghost

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 R32
So for Rabbits without the MFD (Multi Functional Display) it doesnt work.
:( Curses.
I thought all 2009 Rabbits were supposed to come with the MFD but mine doesnt :(
Maybe I heard that from somewhere because I want to whine about it.

If you have the Premium 7 radio w/SAT button you can get the ipod adapter from Dice Electronics labeled "Silver Line" that will replace your SAT radio w/your ipod and show text on the radios screen.

From what I understand it's better and less espensive than the 2 OEM solutions from VW as you can browse by artist, album, and playlist where the VW ones is only playlists or all songs.

preilly5

I have an RC500 head unit with the Dension gateway 100 (Can version) installed, and am looking to upgrade the head unit to an RNS 510. Can somebody tell me if the Dension unit will still work the same with the RNS 510? also, if the maps are loaded onto the hard drive, can the SAT NAV be used, as well as listening to the IPOD at the same time?

cheers

Almost A Ghost

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 R32
I have an RC500 head unit with the Dension gateway 100 (Can version) installed, and am looking to upgrade the head unit to an RNS 510. Can somebody tell me if the Dension unit will still work the same with the RNS 510? also, if the maps are loaded onto the hard drive, can the SAT NAV be used, as well as listening to the IPOD at the same time?

cheers

The Dension displays track information on the the MFD using the same "page" that the OEM nav units use for displaying route information, so no, it won't work the same.

The RNS-510 does have the support for iPod via MDI.

Lucidity

Marx
Get the Dension, I love mine. Well worth the 200 dollars, charges my ipod classic and displays all the artist info in the MFD. You can also browse the ipod just like you would on the ipod itself through the MFD. Also comes in handy for when I need to charge my Iphone... and yeah it will play music off the Iphone too, but more importantly it will play Pandora while driving!

GTI Punk

Car(s)
2007 GTI
Hello All,
I have looked just about everywhere and can't find the answer. I am upgrading to the MFD2 from the Premium 7. I was looking for an adapter that allows the text to be displayed on either the head unit or the MFD, still allows me to use the steering wheel functions and allows for a shuffle play. I have only seen things like the Dension or Dice units, but all info mainly pertains to the Premium 7. Does anyone know of, or have a suggestion to a unit that will work on the MFD2 that performs like what is available for the premium 7? I mainly want the song text display and retension of steering wheel functions. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!

Almost A Ghost

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 R32
^^^ Find out if you can tell the MFD2 not to display NAV information on the MFD via VAG-COM or by other means. If you can that would negate the conflict between how Dension units displays track information since it uses the same "page" as the MFD2 would use for NAV info.

glenfoxman

I just updated my ipod touch1st gen and I am having problems viewing the albums and artists on the BMW factory ipod car adapter. It does recognize the ipod, but it just hangs at the menu screen when you try to select songs by album or artist. It does allow you to select songs alphabetically. Playlists also seem to work OK. Anybody else having this problem?