GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Kenwood DNX-7120 Installed (w/pictures)

greypsoh

Ready to race!
Thanks for the info,

One thing I'm curious about is the usb interface.

Have you tried to load a video file on it and have it playback?

I think the unit works with divx? or I'm I getting them mixed up?

If it can play video back I would be tempted to see if an external hard drive would work to store a ton of video's and mp3's.

A large thumb drive is great but a 2.5" hard drive would be nice too, even if it's only used on long trips :)

Thanks

I haven't tried video files on a USB drive, only audio files. I would imagine it would work because you can view videos on your iPod through the head unit.

Mateya49

Oval Champion
Car(s)
06GTI, 02Lincoln LS
Does this unit fit directly into the car or do you need some sort of plastic border to fill in any gaps. If so, then which size plastic thing do i need?

LoyalSage

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MKIV & MKV R32
Does this unit fit directly into the car or do you need some sort of plastic border to fill in any gaps. If so, then which size plastic thing do i need?

you need to get an adapter kit, the best one out there is the American International kit, there are a million posts on the forums about it.

the part number you need is VW-K1017 from a company called American International. that is the part used in the pictures in this post.

i hope this helps.

Mateya49

Oval Champion
Car(s)
06GTI, 02Lincoln LS
Looks like you get a lot of crap with that kit. How much of it do you actually use and how much does it cost?

Mateya49

Oval Champion
Car(s)
06GTI, 02Lincoln LS
I found it for 9.00. So now my question is. How much do you use out of that kit?

greypsoh

Ready to race!
I found it for 9.00. So now my question is. How much do you use out of that kit?

You don't use all of it. The kit is designed for a dual pocket setup (single DIN head unit, plus storage pocket). This is obviously a double DIN head unit. You will need to cut the divider off and you won't use the pocket that comes with it. When you get it you'll immediately see what you do and do not need to use.

This is the kit I have and it still seems to be the best one I've seen in pictures on these forums. Someone on these forums used the same kit and sanded it down for a more smooth look to match the GTI better. I will probably be buying another kit and doing the same thing when I get some free time.

DubDriver17

Oval Newbie
Nice install, that HU looks very clean:thumbsup:

Cryptic1911

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008.5 GTI
just remember to trim the two nubs on the center dash piece that is above the top of the stereo surround.. they push down on the center, thats why they all have a dip in the center. I sent mine out to get covered in carbon fiber so i didnt have to smooth and paint it

Pungschter

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
In the process of installing; question, where did you tap off the ignition wire? The PAC C2R-VW provides a constant 12V, but I don't see an ignition wire????