GOLFMKV

VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com

Register
MYGOLF garage
Timeslips
Search
Members List
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com > Main Topics > R32 Forum - General Discussions
CTS Turbo

Old 11-21-2018, 12:29 PM   #1
DeepBlue
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: '08 CW 4dr - NOT stock
R32 Long term ownership

Hey Guys,

Long term Mk5 GTI owner here. Going on 10 years... yeah, I have no idea how the hell that happened. Never planned on keeping it that long.

Was watching some videos on Youtube other day and came across one with two guys test driving an R32. This kind of reminded me how I always wanted one, and that it may possibly make a great first car for my daughter in a few years. That is, if I finally sell my GTI before then.

Given that I've owned a GTI for an extended amount of time, its safe to assume that I've over maintained the crap out of it, and know what it takes to keep these cars on the road.

My question is, how does an R32 compare to same year GTI (2008) in terms of reliability, fragility, fussiness... etc. My sense is that it would probably come down to history, and if I can find one that wasn't abused, it should be at least as good as a GTI in terms of build quality and overall longevity if not much better, no?
DeepBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 01:48 PM   #2
vwengineer
Rally Car Champion

Drives: Golf 5 GTI (stock AXX)
I would say the R32 engine is more or less bulletproof in comparison to the GTI. It doesn't have a direct injection, so no HPFP and no cam follower, it is bigger and doesn't have a turbo so probably less stress on the engine itself, it has a chain distribution vs a belt for the GTI. All that to say that if oil was changed regularly I wouldn't have any concerns.

A weakness vs the GTI might be the Haldex system, if I am not wrong it also has to be serviced regularly.
vwengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:33 PM   #3
golfballer78

Drives: 08'.:R32
Mine has over 230k, 2nd owner
golfballer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 10:03 AM   #4
DeepBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfballer78 View Post
Mine has over 230k, 2nd owner
WOW! Manual or DSG?

My GTI has 81k... and is likely the most over maintained and babied car in the area.
Old 11-22-2018, 01:16 PM   #5
golfballer78

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepBlue View Post
WOW! Manual or DSG?

My GTI has 81k... and is likely the most over maintained and babied car in the area.
08’ R32 was only dsg in the states bro, I wish it was standard 6. Peeps still looking for hella money on the mk4 version I shoulda got in the 1st place.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:41 AM   #6
DeepBlue

Ahh, I keep forgetting that VW likes to go to extremes. Next R was MT only. Why not give people a choice like they finally did with the Mk7 R.

Still, I would think that build quality on the Mk5 R32 would be better than MK4. Plus, with a car that old, you would be dealing with rust issues from start.

Very impressive taking your R32 past 200k. Actually gives me some hope that my GTI may go for a few more years!
Old 11-23-2018, 01:24 PM   #7
golfballer78

Because they were limited runs for only 1 year in certain countries. Only certified one type for sale that way. They decided this direction, many were pissed it didn’t get standard 6 (why I didn’t go for it New anyway). 04’ R was in higher demand & had cooler seats, body kit, standard 6, less weight then newer shit & ran low 14sec stock. This car is still worth something, but doesn’t command the value the 04’ did. I think the TT Quattro same layout offered a standard 6?
Old 11-23-2018, 01:56 PM   #8
leo@r32.co
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2008 R32
Bought my R32 in 2012 at 50k miles

Now at 132k miles
leo@r32.co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:19 PM   #9
golfballer78

My experience with all vr6 is they will last, mostly worry about this transmission tho
Old 12-05-2018, 12:14 AM   #10
DeepBlue

Quote:
My experience with all vr6 is they will last, mostly worry about this transmission tho
Yeah... with a DSG... you can never relax. Realistically though, if one would have to replace it with a rebuilt or a junk one, how much would that cost?

I'm thinking that parts and labor would probably exceed the value of the car... which is not great.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:03 AM   #11
Stenosis
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2006 GTI MkV
If my DSG fails, will be pushing my GTI off the nearest cliff.
Stenosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:56 AM   #12
DeepBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenosis View Post
If my DSG fails, will be pushing my GTI off the nearest cliff.
That might be the most "prudent" way to go.

However, I've been seeing some new DSG repair options lately that were either not available or a lot more expensive in the past. A full swap might be douable for 2-3k including labor. Granted, that will still eat a huge chunk of the remaining value.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:47 AM   #13
golfballer78

It’s prob mostly the wet clutches to worry about, which are changeable, even with higher torque applications. The gears themselves could be like any other trans. But the solenoids in the mechatronic board is another worry, again. Replaceable.

We make a choice to hold these older rarer things cause nothing else close will be cheap enough. Low end p.o.s’s now are over 20k, wtf? I would be proud of this if it made it to 300k
Old 12-05-2018, 05:20 PM   #14
DeepBlue

I had a bunch of issues with my DSG when I bought the car. It had a mech replacement done under warranty... twice! Last one came with a full DSG service, which was nice. That being the case, my DSG which has been working just fine since, is about half as old as the rest of the car which is currenty at 80k. Still, I watch it like a hawk.

I came close to selling my GTI twice. But could not quite drop the hammer. It has long since outlived the use case it was bought to fill and I can definitely afford a much nicer car at this point. There is just something about it that keeps me in it. What will likely happen is that I will end up buying something new eventually and keep the GTI as a project car.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:12 PM   #15
golfballer78

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepBlue View Post
I had a bunch of issues with my DSG when I bought the car. It had a mech replacement done under warranty... twice! Last one came with a full DSG service, which was nice. That being the case, my DSG which has been working just fine since, is about half as old as the rest of the car which is currenty at 80k. Still, I watch it like a hawk.

I came close to selling my GTI twice. But could not quite drop the hammer. It has long since outlived the use case it was bought to fill and I can definitely afford a much nicer car at this point. There is just something about it that keeps me in it. What will likely happen is that I will end up buying something new eventually and keep the GTI as a project car.
Yer talking about common gti, this thread is about rare R32. I can still sell mine for pretty penny, but why, I had mad issues with tuned fsi GLI before it, glad that got totaled at 200k, wouldn’t be able to sell it for much anyway.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:05 PM   #16
DeepBlue

Quote:
Yer talking about common gti, this thread is about rare R32. I can still sell mine for pretty penny, but why, I had mad issues with tuned fsi GLI before it, glad that got totaled at 200k, wouldn’t be able to sell it for much anyway.
Fair point. R32 would be a keeper for me for that and other reasons. But at this point, I cant even bring myself to drop a Mk5 GTI so...

I originally started this thread in order to get a sense of how they are holding up. I think I got what I was looking for.

Last edited by DeepBlue; 12-05-2018 at 10:24 PM.