GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need help with sliding armrest. ...

andreid

My GTI has the factory armrest that slides forward and back. The problem is that it does not lock by itself in the most forward position as it is supposed to. When I have my elbow on it, it slides forward when I slow down and back ward when I accelerate.
I disassembled the sliding part and nothing looks to be broken or missing.
Please help with suggestions if you've encountered the same issue.
Thank you

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
It doesn't lock, it's just slightly harder to move rearward. Who told you it's supposed to lock? They do move some if you rest your arm on it, but only if you decelerate or accelerate hard.

euroadb

Go Kart Champion
I have the same issue. Every time I have a passenger in my car the arm rest always slides forward and they're like "it's broken." And yet for me it doesn't. I guess its because as the driver I only rest my elbow on it and the passengers rest their whole arm.

cskm

Banned
Car(s)
GTI
just shoot some of your baby gravy on the tracks and slide the armrest back and forth a few times for even spreading of said gravy. let it to harden and then replace back into car. the armrest is now as sticky as anything!

*warning* smells of semen will get increasingly worse as the days gets hotter and hotter. side effects are: sluts are more easily identified as they become aroused at the smell of the gravy, and mothers would be disappointed in you for obvious reasons. use with caution.

vwengineer

Ready to race!
On mine there seem to be no difference in force required in sliding forward or backward. It's very annoying because it moves all the time. Is there a way to disassemble it to improve that?

vwengineer

Ready to race!
So I took it apart. It was easier than expected.

1. Remove the plastic cover under the arm rest
2. Remove the 4 screw
3. Slide carefully the armrest out, be very careful not to break the plastic tabs that connect the rear part with the front part
4. Under the rear part I put some duct tape to increase the friction
5. Reassemble the rear part and front part together
6. Carefully slide it back on (the rear part can only enter on the rail from behind)
7. Extend the arm rest fully to be able to put the screws back
8. Put back the cover

Here is a pic of where I put the duct tape (one the rear part).

Now the rear part is not sliding back so easily which was the problem (because the front slides back if the rear is back). Now I broke one of the connecting tabs so the front still slides back on mine... I will try to repair it/replace it and it should be good to go. Its already a huge improvement.

EDIT: if anyone also broke its tab, I designed a 3D model from it that can be printed with a 3D printer (attached)

Attachments

• armrest tab.zip
    4.8 KB · Views: 351
Last edited: