GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Going to DIY an upgraded downpipe, need some advice.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I think you nailed it. Yup, sometimes bolts get stuck, studs break. No you won't resuse gasket, get a new one. May need PB Blaster spray to loosen corroded bolds. May need EZ out if stud breaks.

O2 sensor 1 stays in turbo, you leave plug in place near flange nearest turbo, O2 sensor 2 will go in the plug downstream. Since you do not have a catalytic convertor on the downpipe you will get a CEL error. To fix that you will need to purchase a spacer for the O2 sensor furthest away from turbo.

Also as you probably know the pipe will stink because you don't have a catalytic convertor.

Just a note - no reason to put on a larger downpipe on an otherwise fully stock motor in terms of performance.

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
I remember reading some downpipes won't fit without modification. Maybe a TSI won't fit on an fsi? Something like that. One of the holes on the flange needs to be slotted for it to work. Still doable, but could be annoying if you're not expecting it.

5aprilc

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
You're correct. You won't fit a TSI downpipe on an FSI without modification.

OP, you might as well get the stage 2 performance file if you plan on going CAT-less. The angled spacer worked for like a year and eventually failed, the new software kept the CEL from coming back.

aeronaticaa

Ready to race!
I think you nailed it. Yup, sometimes bolts get stuck, studs break. No you won't resuse gasket, get a new one. May need PB Blaster spray to loosen corroded bolds. May need EZ out if stud breaks.

O2 sensor 1 stays in turbo, you leave plug in place near flange nearest turbo, O2 sensor 2 will go in the plug downstream. Since you do not have a catalytic convertor on the downpipe you will get a CEL error. To fix that you will need to purchase a spacer for the O2 sensor furthest away from turbo.

Also as you probably know the pipe will stink because you don't have a catalytic convertor.

Just a note - no reason to put on a larger downpipe on an otherwise fully stock motor in terms of performance.

Thanks, any recommendations where I can purchase a spacer?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Thanks, any recommendations where I can purchase a spacer?

I used 42draftdesign one. Worked well permanently for me.

Not to hammer on you about the downpipe but it is a useless upgrade by itself. If you are just looking for more exhaust noise get a cat back exhaust.
If you are looking for significantly more power, go with a stage 1 tune.
When you get tired of the stage 1, go stage 2, which requires a 3in downpipe, upgraded hpfp and an upgraded intake.

Not_Sean

Not to hammer on you about the downpipe but it is a useless upgrade by itself. If you are just looking for more exhaust noise get a cat back exhaust.
When you get tired of the stage 1, go stage 2, which requires a 3in downpipe, upgraded hpfp and an upgraded intake.

While I agree, going that way is a huge waste of money (At least in my part of the world)

If you know you are going to mod more Skip stg1 completely. do downpipe and the other mods that'll run on stock software and then only have to buy software once instead of paying for stg1 and again for stg2. Unless you get all the maps in once price stg1 is pretty pointless if you want more power.

707Stang

I'm Hella From Nor*Cal

To piggy back on louder exhaust... remove the resonator from the stock exhaust system also gets you a perfectly drive-able exhaust note. I loved that mod on my 08 FSI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sh00k0nes pt. 2

Ready to race!
Beaware that by going catless you will be spraying oil residue from your muffler tips. My garage floor is covered in it. I taped some cardboard to the floor behind my tips where I usually park my car so that I won't stain the floor.

sh00k0nes pt. 2

Ready to race!
Come to think of it, I actually stopped noticing oil coming from my exhaust after fixing my exhaust leak. I guess that was the stem of all my problems. I fixed it 2 weeks ago.

aeronaticaa

Ready to race!
Back to an old post, I have another MKV GTI now.

Would the spacer originally mentioned for the O2 sensor be needed If im stage 2? Or is that only If I were attempting to use the downpipe with a stock tune.

I Will be getting Stage 2 NON-HPFP upgrade tune from Unitronic.

golfballer78

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' R32 dsg
I basically did all that stuff on a gli fsi (short of upgrading hpfp). Was also running the s3 Audi intercooler. Honestly, I’d consider throwing k04 on yer list to gain any real enjoyment.