GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

P0171 and P2177

LethalAv8or

Currently getting a P0171 and P2177 code on my 2007 GTI FSI. thought it was my brake booster hose because there was a crack but I replaced it and still having the problem. Any ideas of where else I should start? TIA!

Cumminsblake

Ahh Gotcha. I just picked up my GTI. Its throwing the P1701. I tried the old spray carb cleaner around the engine to maybe find some vacuum leaks but didn't find anything.

My car has the stock intake. If I replace the PCV valve do you think its worth trying to replace the air intake also?

buyingconstant7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI 3 Door 6spd
I had both these codes yesterday. I got serious about tracking it down today and fixed it. First step since I don't know when it was replaced last, was the PCV valve. Get an OEM one and you should replace it every 2-3 years. It's money well spent and will provide good insurance making sure you don't have any other crankcase pressure/vacuum issues such as blowing a seal like the rear main seal(expensive job, caused by a bad PCV valve), oil consumption, etc.

After that then you can get into diagnosing. The most common source of a vacuum leak on these engines is the vacuum pump hose that goes to the brake booster. The vacuum pump is on the side of the engine beside the battery. The hose goes off the vacuum pump and down into a small T-fitting and check valve, the down beside the engine(underneath the vacuum pump), into the coolant flange. Check the rubber hose for tears, and check the T-fitting and plastic hard fittings for any breaks as well. After the coolant flange the hose goes out of that and into the brake booster, it's beside and below the brake fluid resevoir. Check that hose for tears as well as each end hard fitting. My source of a vacuum leak was this line going to the brake booster from the coolant flange. Engine light is off, idles 100% now.