GOLFMKV

A build I am very happy with - got all my info on this forum

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Well the update is that there is no update. Boy sometimes a project just doesn't workout as smoothly as you would like. First builder had to move on before completing. He wanted to finish it but life changes did not permit it. Now at second builder and through no ones fault, just plain old bad timing for me, second builder has been unable to make progress as there have been changes to staff. Just normal stuff. Have not driven car since last July.... Probably won't get to drive it until well after this July. Oh well, picking up the new (2014 A8) this week to take my mind off of the project.

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Don't feel so bad, I'm in a similar boat. My car is just a crappy lawn ornament at the moment.

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion
It's great when you do drive it though. Hadn't driven mine in just about 5 years, and even running around with 310whp it's a blast. Need to get my fuel pump controller so I can turn the boost up some more.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Well I finally picked up my new to me car. 2014 A8L 3.0TDI. Paid 33.5 for it. Has 34,400 miles on it. Mileage is 24/36 which is very nice compared to my V8 power A8 which I still have. Anyway a distraction as I wait for my GTI to be finished. Here are some pics of the new car.

Needless to say the back seat has a lot of room. In the pic below you can see how much room it has, The driver seat is set for me (6'3"). Also of note is the picture of the redline. The power specs are 240hp/406ftlb. Also car will go just about 800 miles on a tank.

The car is also surprisingly quick but we will see how quick it is after it gets its emissions TSB done today. I can always add a tune if it knocks power down too much.

Last edited:

vwengineer

Ready to race!
Congrats' very nice car. That's why I like diesel engines, they so efficient especially for a car like this, you get a better gas mileage than the GTI :)

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Very nice...6'3" as well. Almost would want a driver for that one...so to stretch out in back. 4600rpm...WOW! When I saw 4600rpm I thought "it must be an 8-speed", right?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Very nice...6'3" as well. Almost would want a driver for that one...so to stretch out in back. 4600rpm...WOW! When I saw 4600rpm I thought "it must be an 8-speed", right?

Yup, 8spd. Lots of torque and the trans does a good job of keeping motor right around peak torque when you put your foot down.

It is almost limo like in back.

Got a Q7 loaner today while mine is in for emissions. It has the basic 2.0L turbo and it does a remarkable job of getting that beast moving. Not a race car but it is reasonably quick when you need it to be and comfortable to drive normally.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Ok, news to be jealous about.

As mentioned I just bought a 2014 A8L 3.0tdi. Love it. Prev owner never took it in for the emissions fix. So took it in, they fixed it, still love it.

Audi dealer told me to go file a claim prior to coming in for the fix on some vw settlement site. Turns out I am entitled to a settlement. Got my settlement letter today and the payout is 9664.24!!!!!!!!!! Love it more now. That brings the effective price down to 23,835.76 for a 2014 with 34K miles on it. Wow.... totally unexpected.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Convrats!

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
So free money with no strings attached?

They did the repair (for free) AND you got a check back?

Until now I didn't understand the whole vw/audi diesel settlement. VW bought back about 400,000 cars for pre-dieselgate market pricing plus a hefty settlement amount. Most of these cars were produced 2009-2014. Apparently a lot of folks made a lot of money buying up TDI cars and selling them back to VW. This was all news to me.

My particular car / engine did not have a buyback offer but it it did have the option I took which included an emissions fix and a hefty settlement payment. So yes, you get it fixed for free with an extended emissions warranty AND you get the payment.

I only wanted this particular model because of the great gas mileage and I can see that gas prices are probably going to hit all new highs again, it gets 36mpg on hwy. Normally you can't drive a luxury car of this size and also get that kind of mileage for the price I paid (cost of a Honda Accord). And with 240/406 the car is pretty quick. To that end I just ordered a Malone Tune for it which will take it to 270/475. Needless to say with all that torque you get strong low rpm acceleration which is perfect for a luxo barge. So smooth and even the stock tune it pushes you back in your seat.

I completely stumbled into this. The previous owner never took advantage of the settlement offer so as the new owner I became eligible. Very random good fortune that I didn't discover until after I bought it and went to Audi dealer who told me what to do once they saw car had not been fixed. They told me how to file a claim and the rest you know.