GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Question about ELM327 OBDII

ShowtimeR92

Car(s)
VW Golf MK V
Hi,

First, I want to apology if I have posted this in the wrong thread.
I am interested to buy an ELM327 WIFI version (since I use iPhone/iOS)

I was wondering about the difference between the:

- ELM327 WIFI V1.5
- ELM327 WIFI V2.1

I've got a European model of MKV 2005 1.9 TDI
The other one is MK6 2009 2.0 TDI (also European)

Will it work on both of my cars?

The main reason I want to buy this ELM327 is to be able to remove the annoying known issue with the airbag warning, I have had it checked by a mechanic/dealership and as mostly of you knows it is a known "disease" on the connections on the driver’s seat.

And of course it would be nice tool to have to check and find out what may cause the eventually errors that might pop up in the future.

Thinking of buying it from Aliexpress or Ebay or something.

Appreciate any help :)

vwengineer

Ready to race!
They both should work but while you can reset the engine light, I am not sure that they will be able to reset airbag errors. That's because ODB is mostly limited to engine faults but it cannot read proprietary modules like airbags. I think you need a more specific tool for that like VCDS/ODB eleven. There are also specific tools for resetting airbags on Aliexpress. But wouldn't be better to replace the wiring? Not sure it is that common

Also avoid the cheapest ones, they both fried in my car without any reason (they don't work anymore)

ShowtimeR92

Car(s)
VW Golf MK V
They both should work but while you can reset the engine light, I am not sure that they will be able to reset airbag errors. That's because ODB is mostly limited to engine faults but it cannot read proprietary modules like airbags. I think you need a more specific tool for that like VCDS/ODB eleven. There are also specific tools for resetting airbags on Aliexpress. But wouldn't be better to replace the wiring? Not sure it is that common

Also avoid the cheapest ones, they both fried in my car without any reason (they don't work anymore)

Ok, thank you for the info and your answer.

I was thinking of buying from Aliexpress, but from the Kingbolen seller.

It seems that they are selling ELM327/OBDII that are "better build" and not just "cheap plastic" like a lot of other sellers, link here

Even if it does turn out that it doesn't remove the fault/error, I'll still be a useful tool to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk