GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mechatronic vs Transmission Replacement?

deboo99

Hi everyone,

First post and glad to be here.

Bit of a pickle - own a 2007 GTI DSG automatic and as I just bought a condo, I'm hanging on to it for a few more years. The issue is it's got a problem with the transmission. I had minor work done to it to see if it would solve anything but to no avail. The technician at the dealership advised one of two solutions - replace the mechatronic unit or get a new transmission. Both costly but with a $2k difference for the transmission.

The car stills functions quite well and once in a blue moon, the engine will buck really hard as if shifts into first gear. The other indicator is it will slip out of gear if I take a corner too hard and then it doesn't engage in any gear (all gears flashing on dash) until I stop and restart the car.

What I'm wondering is how likely is it that it's the mech unit alone. It would make sense to me that if it was the transmission, it wouldn't really drive? Not sure. Total uninformed answer. I ask because if I replace the mech unit and it doesn't solve anything, I then have to replace the transmission which already contains a mech unit. So, I'd be doubling up.

And I've looked at selling/trading it but this is the most cost-effective right now.

Car has 140000km on it. Problem has been around for about 10 months. Engine was chipped to stage 1 when I bought it used in 2011.

Thank you for any input anyone may have! Much appreciated.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I would replace the mechatronics unit...I would also ask about if there's an open campaign on it and if it applies to yours. It is a known issue for some as the unit would fail. Just do not recall if VW opened a campaign on it or not. Once you get that bit resolved it should be fine for a very long time.

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Hi everyone,

First post and glad to be here.

Bit of a pickle - own a 2007 GTI DSG automatic and as I just bought a condo, I'm hanging on to it for a few more years. The issue is it's got a problem with the transmission. I had minor work done to it to see if it would solve anything but to no avail. The technician at the dealership advised one of two solutions - replace the mechatronic unit or get a new transmission. Both costly but with a $2k difference for the transmission.

The car stills functions quite well and once in a blue moon, the engine will buck really hard as if shifts into first gear. The other indicator is it will slip out of gear if I take a corner too hard and then it doesn't engage in any gear (all gears flashing on dash) until I stop and restart the car.

What I'm wondering is how likely is it that it's the mech unit alone. It would make sense to me that if it was the transmission, it wouldn't really drive? Not sure. Total uninformed answer. I ask because if I replace the mech unit and it doesn't solve anything, I then have to replace the transmission which already contains a mech unit. So, I'd be doubling up.

And I've looked at selling/trading it but this is the most cost-effective right now.

Car has 140000km on it. Problem has been around for about 10 months. Engine was chipped to stage 1 when I bought it used in 2011.

Thank you for any input anyone may have! Much appreciated.

They were replacing 2007-2009 mech units as they were defective. I had a 2008 and they replaced it at no charge. You are outside of the 10year warranty period but maybe a dealer would go to bat for you. If not you could write VW HQ customer service and plead you case since you have such low mileage. Might be able to get it covered.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
↑This↑