GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

mFactory - journey to LSD begins

Mostic

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW Scirocco
Better keep telling yourself that and avoid driving a GTI with an LSD or you will go get one right away. After driving it, I believe any MKV GTI driver who enjoys spirited driving would consider this a tranformative upgrade.

I agree with that Lary, I had the LSD on my old transmission (before I destroy it), and I didn't install it back yet as I decided to install on the Rocco one.
Seriously, my feeling with car is not the same when I had the LSD on. In my opinion it is one of the main stuff that must be equipped in VW as OEM not after market solution!

Mostic

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW Scirocco
Went to the track today. Got a chance to work out the LSD.... plain and simple, my experience was awesome. It allowed me to drive the car in a whole new way and use power like never before. Love my new MFactory LSD, well worth the expense.

Only problem for me is that I now want to go out immediately and spend thousands on track tires, camber solutions, cross braces and a set of Eibach R2's.

While at the track today had a couple of unrelated problems discovered after 3 runs. I started the morning with an almost full gas tank.... during the 3 run of the day my tank mysteriously read empty. Filled it up and though it is full it only reads half. Guess that big sweeper at 115 got the fuel level sensor stuck...haha.

Then I went to fill my water meth for the 4th session...... It was completely full. Ran the whole 3rd session without using any water meth (w/m system not operating). Didn't really notice it being low on power but that race file must not have liked it. No codes after. It ran well.

So with the in LPFP acting up (sensor) and no water meth system I decided to pack it in and go home and get things fixed.

As I said, love the MFactory LSD, only sticker on my helmet is MFactory. Get the LSD you will be pleasantly surprised street and especially on the track.

I am happy that you enjoyed the LSD and new mods in the track my friend.
But why those three issues happened? You need to check the reason in order to avoid any serious damage specially because you are running an aggressive file based on the WMI.
I would suggest using race fuel in the track days.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
But why those three issues happened? You need to check the reason in order to avoid any serious damage specially because you are running an aggressive file based on the WMI.

To be honest I don't subscribe to the same level of fear that surrounds water meth system failure when running a 100 octane file. It is not my preferred way of operating but the big difference between the race file and the 91 octane file is about 6 degrees of timing. The ECU does a fine job of pulling as much as 12 degrees of timing or collapsing to limp mode when the problem is worse. When the water meth system was off yesterday I actually didn't even notice it on the track, there were no codes thrown, the ECU did its job and the car ran like a champ. Our ECUs are capable of handling even worse fuel problems than the water meth system failing.

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Yup, LSD is definitely a gateway drug.

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
To be honest I don't subscribe to the same level of fear that surrounds water meth system failure when running a 100 octane file. It is not my preferred way of operating but the big difference between the race file and the 91 octane file is about 6 degrees of timing. The ECU does a fine job of pulling as much as 12 degrees of timing or collapsing to limp mode when the problem is worse. When the water meth system was off yesterday I actually didn't even notice it on the track, there were no codes thrown, the ECU did its job and the car ran like a champ. Our ECUs are capable of handling even worse fuel problems than the water meth system failing.

It really depends on the tune.
APR is know to be fairly conservative with their tunes as they are by far the most installed ECU tune for our platform so they try to take this kind of shit into consideration (idiot proof it).
I ran my APR 100 octane tune for 2 weeks straight while my w/m kit was turned off. OOPS!

Now on the flipside if you get a custom drag tune that uses w/m and are on the ragged edge of lean, then yes you will most likely incur damage if your w/m system shuts off.

Glad to hear the results of the LSD were so positive!
I'd love to get one but I cant justify the cost for the DSG.
If the DSG needed to be rebuilt I would contemplate doing an install, but untill then I'll pass.
This is exactly why I bought my miata :)

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
It really depends on the tune.
APR is know to be fairly conservative with their tunes as they are by far the most installed ECU tune for our platform so they try to take this kind of shit into consideration (idiot proof it).
I ran my APR 100 octane tune for 2 weeks straight while my w/m kit was turned off. OOPS!

Now on the flipside if you get a custom drag tune that uses w/m and are on the ragged edge of lean, then yes you will most likely incur damage if your w/m system shuts off.

Glad to hear the results of the LSD were so positive!
I'd love to get one but I cant justify the cost for the DSG.
If the DSG needed to be rebuilt I would contemplate doing an install, but untill then I'll pass.
This is exactly why I bought my miata :)

Miata is a great choice for the track. Lots of fun for the money right out of the box.

I hear you on the cost of the LSD. When you consider the current value, age, and number of good driving miles left in most of these cars its a lot harder to justify.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR

Well the water meth pump failed, just put a new one in today. The fuel sensor on the LPFP appears to have gone out. I have ordered and will install another OEM LPFP. I could buy the sensor serperately but the pump is 8 years old and the rest of my fuel system only has 20K mi on it so decided to refresh the whole thing. Should be here in a few days.

Finished the water meth pump a couple of hours ago. USRT has Snow pumps for 139.00 Same model that came with my Stage 2 kit.

Mostic

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW Scirocco
Happy that you knows where were the WMI problem. I would suggest getting DW65v with Skoda A5 LPFP housing instead of getting an new OEM LPFP.
I bought a new one for my Rocco and I will use it instead of the USP AUX kit or maybe with it depends on the power level I will go for. Try the DW65v and you won't regret.

Skoda A5 part number 1K0919051AP
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188952&highlight=dw65v

Explanation of the housing differences between the LPFP generations...
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3767313&postcount=354

GT0neX

NooB-Still Sucklin' Teat
Just ordered mine. Same price. Will use this thread to look up all the extras I'll need. I had the DSG service done about 8k ago, sucks to have to do it again technically. Did you get all the parts from one particular location? Can AU Tuning source these items themselves or require you to provide them? Also, what's with the bearings mentioned early in the thread?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Just ordered mine. Same price. Will use this thread to look up all the extras I'll need. I had the DSG service done about 8k ago, sucks to have to do it again technically. Did you get all the parts from one particular location? Can AU Tuning source these items themselves or require you to provide them? Also, what's with the bearings mentioned early in the thread?

MFactory comes with bearings. They just didn't get packed in my box.
While DSG out I put new clutch pack in. Worth it just to extend life of DSG.
Just order clutch pack online to get best price but AU can get anything.
Because my car is going to see quite a bit of track time I put in the tranny cooler and it has been worth the added expense. Tracked car last Sat. LSD is awesome.
AU supplied all the little parts noted earlier in the post (gaskets, seals and o-rings etc.