GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why forums are your best friend. A beginners guide!

UnitedGrayMK5

Passed Driver's Ed
So you just got your GTI or R32, and you think "huh, maybe i should look more into this car!"
Suddenly you're hooked, you want more power, better stance, nice wheels, great DIY mods, and the list goes on.

Trust me, when I first got my GTI, I was a VW rookie. Which isn't a bad thing!!
Well here's why a forum is your best friend (Specifically the GolfMKV forum):

- 99.9% of the people here are more than willing to give advice about why you should buy quality products and why its worth the money.

-The community on the forum is the type of community to welcome you to the VW/Audi scene with open arms. Not the type of people who meet up at their local Joann's fabrics parking lot to see who has bigger subs and who can do the weakest burnouts, plus, we own german cars, we are much more mature than that!

-forums have been established long before you picked up your new baby, so.. anything you need/want to find out about your new baby is a search away. Whether it be that you just find out your sunroof can open further than the "fully open" position, or how to DIY change DSG Fluid.

-Super moderators on the forum know their sh*t, so listen to them, they will give you the advice that you need to hear about your car.

-Forums are loaded with anything from new wheel threads to full on big turbo track builds, which is always nice to inspire you to buy your next mod!

So if you are new to the VW/Audi Scene, don't be afraid to ask away and search away because there will always be someone to give advice or answer questions!

If anyone has anything to add, please feel free!

Last edited:

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
The only thing I really have to add is that it sucks that forums are kind of dying off because of all the Facebook groups now. When it comes to finding information, forums rule.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
The only thing I really have to add is that it sucks that forums are kind of dying off because of all the Facebook groups now. When it comes to finding information, forums rule.

+1

I also find it better to search forums using Google rather than the built in search feature. Something like:

site:www.golfmkv.com cam follower diy

FastEddieGTI

Car(s)
2008 VW Golf GTI 3dr
Thank you!
And totally agree about forums being much better than Facebook for finding and searching info - I just need to spend some (a lot) more time reading up. THis is the first car I've owned that was made this side of the millenium, so I'm quite excited and confused!! My first car was a 1988 VW Polo, so I'm guessing the '08 MkV GTI won't be much different:happyanim:

Anyway, I'm sure I'll be bugging you all soon with questions!

Eddie

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
I don't understand facebook groups, must be getting old or something.

There is no persistent information, its all "Hey look at this" and will get buried in a few days with more posts. Build threads, DIY, what to expect with certain mods, etc are all better served in a forum format.

high_octane3541

Go Kart Champion

LilRaverBoi

Optometrist Prime
Yeah, turn the dial all the way 'open' and then turn it that extra few degrees (will have some tension) and hold there as the sunroof opens all the way. Then you can let the dial return to where it does and it should stay like that (unless you do it hastily and it accidentally clicks back a notch LOL). This is great info to have for us sunroof lovers!