GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

avenali312's Learning His New Camera Thread

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Finally got myself into the entry level DSLR market around Christmas time and picked up a D5200. This is the first photo I'm happy enough with to post. Hopefully, there are more in the future. Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
So, I've decided to just tack onto this thread rather than making a bunch of new ones every time I want to post a photo. The first one is playing around with the HDR settings. I've never done that before and it seemed interesting.

Last edited:

FaLLeNAn9eL

JESUS HATES FLAT TIRE
Awesome start man.

My only advice is to play around in manual mode to learn what each setting does but don't be afraid to use the automatic modes. Regardless of what people say, a shot taken in automatic is better than a missed shot trying to fiddle around with manual.

hemidesign

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI mk5 Castrol 2008
great start man.. welcome to the DSLR world.
I have over $125K in cameras and lenses.. (7 bodies + 34 lenses)

justAverage

justAverage Photography
Car(s)
GTI
What software are you using? While the shot is really the meat of it, sometimes I've seen a bad shot turn pretty good with a few small edits. I would check out Adobe Lightroom for cataloging and minor edits

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Awesome start man.

My only advice is to play around in manual mode to learn what each setting does but don't be afraid to use the automatic modes. Regardless of what people say, a shot taken in automatic is better than a missed shot trying to fiddle around with manual.

Thanks, man. I was actually planning an outing this weekend to force myself to shoot in manual mode only to get a feel for everything.

Thanks! I am now floating around $1k haha.

What software are you using? While the shot is really the meat of it, sometimes I've seen a bad shot turn pretty good with a few small edits. I would check out Adobe Lightroom for cataloging and minor edits

I'm using Adobe Lightroom. I really like the way it handles the catalog so far and the editing seems pretty straight forward.

Sterling

Steel Tip
Car(s)
S3

So why aren't you posting epic pics!?!?!?!?

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Felt like it was time to update this thread just a bit. The photo is from July after our wedding, but I just got around to looking through the whole memory card and doing some editing haha. Scenic overlook in West Virginia on our way back home to Florida from Pennsylvania.

Round trip was about 2,004 miles not including running wedding errands and such. Car never skipped a beat.