GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Trimming the APR 3" Downpipe

Ignignokt

K04 Bound
Car(s)
'08 Mk5 GTI
How's it going guys? This is my first post here. I apologize if this has been addressed before, but I have yet to find a "definitive" answer.

I have an '08 GTI (FSI). I just got the APR downpipe, and I noticed on the last page of their instructions that it says to "trim" the pipe to fit the stock exhaust. My questions are:

1. How many inches should I cut off?
  2. What tool did you guys use?

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

kal-el

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 MkV GTI
Measure and then take it to a muffler shop to cut. It should be pretty cheap, < $50

Heitzke

I am the law
Is this common for aftermarket DP? I would hate to spend $750 on a DP and then have to hack it up.

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
I'm guessing fitment on individual cars varies and APR would rather make the midpipe too long rather than risk it being too short.

Still, I haven't heard of this being an issue with the eBay downpipes @ 1/5 the price!

gmmills

South African
Car(s)
CW GTI
Don't cut it- reduces the value when you come to sell it. Push the stock catback further into the dowpipe. Use grease to help it slide.. I did it with my billy boat dp as it was a little long as well.

Tutti57

Ready to race!
Yeah, mine is sick! Shipped for $140.

Sent from my SPH-M950 using Tapatalk

Ignignokt

K04 Bound
Car(s)
'08 Mk5 GTI
First, I think I'll try what gmmills suggested and go from there.

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

Ignignokt

K04 Bound
Car(s)
'08 Mk5 GTI
Wow that's quite a trim. Glad it went together pretty well

Thanks. I'm just a little pissed that I paid $750 for something I was expected to adjust for proper fitment. I mean, WTF? On the other hand, the car runs great; so, I've got that going for me.