GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

WEIRD engine issues

ConnerrySER04

East Coast transplant
Car(s)
MKVGTI
WEIRD engine issues UPDATED. Bad Oil Breather HOSE? see last post.

Ok, Fuel pump recently replaced, no DV/PCV issues to date, 19K miles. Car throws a first ever SOLID CEL about 20 mins ago. No noticable issues right off the bat, THEN...at a traffic light, and every time I throw the car in neutral thereof...it starts revving in idle on its own...I'm nowhere near the throttle, but the car will constantly rev between 1k-3k rpm...on it's own. I switched back to stock mode right when I saw the CEL...only thing that was different today was that I filled up w/ Chevron 91 octane.A.which I always do? Anyone ever heard of THIS one? Can't get to dealer till Monday, no vag com available nearby. Oh...it won't do the revving thing when the A/C's on...when it's off, it's going nuts.

Last edited:

dpham00

Modérateur Emeritus
some auto parts stores will scan for generic obd2 codes free. make sure you have the CEL or else the codes might not come up on the generic scanner.

julito04

I plead the fif.
Car(s)
08 WRX Limited
sounds like the problem that i just had but mine made a loud noise at the same time. the problem was a bad crankcase valve.

ConnerrySER04

East Coast transplant
Car(s)
MKVGTI
Auto Zone codes came back, PO507, which includes Idle Control System RPM Higher Than Expected, and P0171, which includes, Engine running lean, possible fuel filter issues. Now I had the fuel cut/fuel pump replacement a few weeks ago. Again, only thing I did was switch to APR 91, and fill up w/ Chevron 91 yesterday. Switched back to stock, ran around again for awhile and it's still revvin up on it's own in neutral.

julito04

I plead the fif.
Car(s)
08 WRX Limited
im telling you, its the same thing that happened to me. its the crankcase valve. it will do that, itll sit at idle then go up to like 2000rpm then go down to 1krpm and then go down to 600rpm then go up again. Just sitting at a light and itll do it. take it to v dub and they will fix it, good ol warranty hehe

IFlyS5

Self-proclaimed DUBHEAD
That sounds a lot like what mine was doing after about 12K miles. Turns out it was some bad coding in the ECU...dealer reflash solved the problem....I am pretty sure there was a TSB about it.

ConnerrySER04

East Coast transplant
Car(s)
MKVGTI
im telling you, its the same thing that happened to me. its the crankcase valve. it will do that, itll sit at idle then go up to like 2000rpm then go down to 1krpm and then go down to 600rpm then go up again. Just sitting at a light and itll do it. take it to v dub and they will fix it, good ol warranty hehe

That's exactly what it does. Did you get a CEL as well? How long did they take to fix that?

julito04

I plead the fif.
Car(s)
08 WRX Limited
yea, not too long after it started happening i got a CEL. I took it to vw and got a loaner car cause i thought it was going to be a long process and i dropped it off at 8 and then they called me at 3 and told me it was ready to go so it was relatively quick with an appointment. Just take it in, if its whats happenin to mine it will be fixed for free and youll be good to go. and now that i got that fixed(i have my resonator taken off) my car doesnt POP as much as it did before from the exhaust so im happy bout that too.

ConnerrySER04

East Coast transplant
Car(s)
MKVGTI
Well this just got f#$%^&g frustrating....I get a call from the VW dealership (there's only ONE in town. ) that they can't give me an appointment until NEXT WEEK WEDS at the earliest. So, guys, ANYONE with similar symptoms/xperiences please chime in. It's still a solid light: can I still drive thjis thing for fucking 10 days?!?!?

DeathB4Dishonr

Lasers go Pew Pew
Car(s)
2k6 BMP GTI
well i recently had the same issue after getting apr stg2. my problem was a "vacuum leak" but actually a vacuum hose had come off. if i were you id check for boost leaks. also the disconnected hose threw a solid CEL. after i re attached the hose with a zip tie and disconnected my battery for 15 mins CEL was gone and the car ran perfectly fine. some 170+ miles later and a new tank of gas(current as of now) still running fine and no issues. so again i'd check for boost leaks

julito04

I plead the fif.
Car(s)
08 WRX Limited
yea, check for boost leaks, especially since you have 10 days to do it now. Just look for the good ol hissing sound.