GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need help!!! Engine Fault Workshop and a lot of malfunctions!!

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
First I have heard of a fuse box TSB. Good info though, keep us updated.

eXpo

Car(s)
2009 GTI
Well just got an update. Fuse box came.

But still an issue.

There is communications to all modules, but there is still a fault that won't go away (clears it and it comes right back).

Here are some snaps he sent me:

He was at a loss and contacted a guy in Florida who instructs on Volkswagens and was asked if he had replaced the fuse block. The burned box has been known to backfeed and short J500, ECM, ABS, and steering electronics module (not all at once, but one of them).

Since there is comms to all modules, he is going to pin test the can connection within each module. So far he has come back with that it is not J500.

This is giving me a headache, and it doesn't help that I am moving in 6 days and am supposed to hit the road and move to a different state! :thumbdown:

eXpo

Car(s)
2009 GTI
Another update:

It was confirmed today that the failure was with the ABS control module.

They contacted VWoA themselves (in an attempt to try and speed up the process since they know I am due to move to a different state in 5 days) to see if they would cover all repairs. Still waiting on the verdict on that.

They went ahead and put the order in for the new module. Either way I am going to proceed with the work getting done, but I am hoping that VW comes through and covers the part and labor since this is all know, and very common, issues (ABS control module and fuse box).

Hopefully will hear back tomorrow on the verdict from Volkswagen (fingers crossed).

This car has me pulling my hair out lately, might be time to make the move back to Hondas.... :iono::help:

VancouverGTI

Go Kart Champion
Only thing I can think to say is, keep your receipts. Many times in the past, VW's eventually conceded that a recall is necessary, and paid back owners who have already paid for the work to be done out of pocket.

eXpo

Car(s)
2009 GTI
Only thing I can think to say is, keep your receipts. Many times in the past, VW's eventually conceded that a recall is necessary, and paid back owners who have already paid for the work to be done out of pocket.

Advice taken!!! (though I always keep all receipts for work and even aftermarket parts for all my cars)

:thumbsup:

That's not how you troubleshoot a power circuit.

You disconnect the loads, then install a light bulb where the fuse was. If the bulb lights up, something is shorted to ground.

So you disconnect portions of the wire harness until the bulb goes out. Alternately, you reconnect loads until the bulb lights up.

So, you know, that way you know what has gone wrong.

shockwaver

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
VW GIT
Have you gotten an update on this issue yet I two have the same exact issue and i called VWOA to see that they would do they are supposed to call me by tomorrow end of day. I hope they can fix it as the part it so expensive. What did they quote you for the module and the install. They want to charge me 2567 for the part which is the module and the pump plus install and all good jazz.

eXpo

Car(s)
2009 GTI
Been crazy busy the past few days because I just finished my move from Texas to North Carolina.

But the car was finished last Friday. The dealership really helped me out by taking off about $150 off the cost of parts and only charged me for 2 hours of labor (for both fuse box and ABS control module combined). Came out to $1400 (after tax and everything). I still haven't had the opportunity to call VWoA to see if they'll cover and reimburse me (since I've been busy with this move), but hopefully I can get around to contacting them tomorrow to see what they can do for me.

VeeTec

Ready to race!
Bringing back an old thread. My car has the exact same issues! The tech is stumped and checked the fuse box, which is only a couple weeks old (replaced under recall).

I told them to go ahead with replacement of the abs module, which will be in on Monday. He was worried it was the steering module, since it threw a code too. I have noticed that the steering light goes off at times though, and the traction control light stays on steady.

Kind of an expensive gamble, but everything that happened to the car in this thread happened to mine, including the codes.