GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

64,000 km maintenance

Squish_GTI

Ball till I fall
Car(s)
MkV GTI
sweet! thanks man, lemme know how your cam follower is when you take it out.
i'll buy the tool box from Crappy Tire for sure.

mikegabriel

Banned
Car(s)
2008 GTI MKV

oatmeals

Ready to race!
Didn't see the cam follower as one of the items listed at the 64k checkup in the manual. Do you have to specifically request for it?

GTI CANADIAN

Lookin for a Hottie
Car(s)
08 VW GTI RS
I've been checking my cam follower routinely, and I check them with vernier calipers. I'm at 72,000kms, and have yet to see any material removal.

Personally I believe the majority of the problems lie in the southern states, where I believe the engine, and oil run hotter, thus leading to a thinner film of oil on the cam and cam follower.

This shit about the cam followerbeing trash after the DLC coating being worn off is IMO bullsh*t. I personally believe VW applied this coating for slightly longer life, but more importantly, for engine and cam break-in.

Hasn't anyone heard of hardened steel, and work hardening? Perhaps the DLC allows for workhardening of the follower surface while preventing removal of material until it gets work hardened.

mikegabriel

Banned
Car(s)
2008 GTI MKV
Ordered a handfull of oil filters and a cam follower last night from PGP. Should be here Thursday or so. If the weather is nice this weekend I'll swap my old one out. Regardless of if it's necessary or not, a $65 part for peace of mind is nothing in the grand scheme of things. To me at least.

SoNgMaN

I Void Warranties
Car(s)
2010 4dr UG TDI HL
Hasn't anyone heard of hardened steel, and work hardening? Perhaps the DLC allows for workhardening of the follower surface while preventing removal of material until it gets work hardened.

problem was the early stuff wasn't hardened at all.

I had 110,000KM on my first follower (early 07 4 door), definitely had some wear but I had the Rev B Cam. I replaced it but it was still completely fine. there's a lot of issues with Oil even getting to the damn thing as the BPY drank oil to begin with and it was pretty much as far from the oil pan as possible.

mikegabriel

Banned
Car(s)
2008 GTI MKV
Just pulled mine, here's what I found.

64,000km on car.
Probably around 50,000km total with Stage 1.

Only mods are Stage 1 Revo, Intake, Catch Can & Forge DV.

Squish_GTI

Ball till I fall
Car(s)
MkV GTI
Thanks for the update brah

I think I'll check mine right before warranty runs out, say around 75,000km.. and yeah i agree, $65 and you have that piece of mind.

mikegabriel

Banned
Car(s)
2008 GTI MKV
Yeah it's an easy change. Swapped the cam follower, changed oil and cleaned my intake filter. Everything went smooth so my hood latch stopped working now (just finished fixing it) and now I've got a weird ass thwacking noise out of the intake pipe for about 30 seconds after throttle. Some days I hate cars.