GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Installed coilovers ; forgot strut bearing

GTI CANADIAN

Lookin for a Hottie
Car(s)
08 VW GTI RS
Do to being a dumbass, I neglected to install the strut bearings in the upper strut mounts. (First time install)

Coilovers are FK Silverlines. So, It's basically the Anodized aluminum ring sitting against the strut mount. I was wondering why I was hearing binding from the springs.

question is, do you think I can let go of the strut nut, and drop the assembly enough to slide the bearing in and bolt it back up? Without removing the axle bolts and such?

Cybe

GolfMK5 Graduate
Car(s)
89, 97 Jetta, 07 GTI
Axle bolts? I'll never understand why you guys are doing that. Completely unneccesary.

You'll probably be able to do that, yes. Lift the car and wind the perches all the way down. If not, throw spring-compressors on it, and you'll be able to crank it down enough to slip the bearing back in. If not, the assembly'll be almost out anyway.

GTI CANADIAN

Lookin for a Hottie
Car(s)
08 VW GTI RS
If I spin the collars down I don't even think I'll need spring compessors, I'll use some zip ties to compress the helper springs, and that will create room.

I just want to know if upon removing the strut nut will the suspension geometry allow the strut to drop enough to get my hand up there and put the bearing in place.

Should be a quick fix if that's the case. Please chime in.

GTI CANADIAN

Lookin for a Hottie
Car(s)
08 VW GTI RS
Went home on my lunch break and installed the strut bearings in the middle of my cul-de-sac. No problems.

Wrapped rubber and vise-grips on to the strut shaft, took the strut-nut off with a ratchet. Undid the upper sway-bar link, realised I had to jack up the other side, to take the swaybar endlink out of the hole. Dropped the strut down, inserted bearing. Repeat. Done and done, back to work.

Total time about 1:15h

GTI CANADIAN

Lookin for a Hottie
Car(s)
08 VW GTI RS
hahah, yeah. I've always been a good hands on guy, not afraid of wrenching. I just don't always have a chance. However, once I get comfortable with something, it comes very easy.

Lunchbreak Wrenching FTMFW!!

No more clucking and popping!

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Car(s)
VW GTI MKVI
wait so strut bearing can be replaced without taking apart the whole front suspension?? What about with springs and not coilovers? Mine are shot and I'm avoiding the crazy install charges

GTI CANADIAN

Lookin for a Hottie
Car(s)
08 VW GTI RS
Hmmmm, That's a good question. It would be possible to change the strut bearing with stock suspension using spring compessors, if the length of the stock strut is the same as the length of a coilover strut. However I don't believe this to be the case.

Anyone?

On the passenger side, the axle hits the swaybar, so you might have to disconnect the swaybar links at the same time so the swaybar drops to it's lowest point.

Also FYI with the FK coilovers, in regards to the rears; I installed the perches (threaded pieces) on top of the spring so I could adjust the height by just removing the wheel. No adverse effects currently

CW.GTI

Banned
Car(s)
VW
wait so strut bearing can be replaced without taking apart the whole front suspension?? What about with springs and not coilovers? Mine are shot and I'm avoiding the crazy install charges

It's possible to leave the strut in the spindle and do the swap, but it is quite a bit of a hassle. As the post above states, you need to have spring compressors to take off the strut mount while still on the car.

bacardicj151

Car(s)
07 GTI
So, let me get this straight...you can replace the whole strut mount w/bearing without taking the strut out?

My installer forgot to put the bearing back in the mount