GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2008 GTI (tsi/cbfa) Cranks but No Start

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
What is the difference between the VCDS scan and the OBD11 scan that I posted?

When I clear the codes from my OBD11 scan, the only ones that stay after clearing are the steering angle sensor and headlight regulation. If I try to start the car and rescan, I'm back to the scan of what I originally posted.

Vcds has been known to pull dtc that other tools miss.

When you try to start does it sound differently from past starting attempts, spinning faster or noisier.

usmcpi

No, it literally just cranks...and cranks...and cranks, until I either release the clutch or turn the key back from ignition on/run position.

It has the "smart start" or whatever it's technically called where all I have to do is flick the key over to start and can let go, as opposed to most cars where you have to hold the key in start position until started.

Tachometer and OBD11 both show around 250rpm during this period.

My car literally started fine, first time, all the time. Stalled it out in 2nd and havent been able to start it since.

Anyone with a VCDS around metro ATL?

Mattdat

Matt
Car(s)
VW Golf Gti mk5 2008
Does the vw golf have an "impact switch" at all. I know some cars have a switch that when they have an impact they wont let the car start until you reset it with a hidden button. Maybe you tripped it when stalling out?

Not sure if it has one just throwing ideas out there

usmcpi

I think the part you speak of is what sets off airbags, seatbelt locks, etc. in case of impact. If that’s what you speak of, then I could assume either I’d have physical evidence of collision system deployment, or at least a fault for deployment activated. It just seems highly unlikely that both would coincidentally occur. But hey, anything’s possible and I’m open to anything to get this fixed right now

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
It has the "smart start" or whatever it's technically called where all I have to do is flick the key over to start and can let go, as opposed to most cars where you have to hold the key in start position until started.

This is not OEM in a 08 GTI, who installed this.

Fred930

Scirocco MK II Track Car
This is not OEM in a 08 GTI, who installed this.

Actually, I think it is .....

His first scan shows a CBFA engine code - a California spec TSI. Suspect it may not be OEM on a 2008 FSI, but it pretty sure it is on the 2008.5 TSI - at least it is standard on my 2009 CBFA TSI.

usmcpi

That^ (probably)

I'm almost tempted to post in the mk6 sections considering I have more similarities with them than most mk5's. Most mk5 stuff i look up only shows FSI info. I even buy most parts by shopping for mk6 compatible parts.

vwengineer

Ready to race!
Indeed regarding the engine you there will probably be more people able to help you on the specifics of the TSI engine on the MK6 forum. If you choose to do so, please let us know if you find the issue.

Fred930

Scirocco MK II Track Car
Have you done a compression check on this engine?

Yea - that would be a good thing to do - assuming you have access to a simple compression tester gauge. TSI motors have a problem with failure of early chain tensioners (actually, there have been several VW revisions to that part).

If yours is an old original and has failed, it would certainly show up with a quick compression test. The motor would also sound "different" when spinning (attempting to start), if the valves are not working. Hope that's not your problem - it's costly to repair the bent valves and head work.

But I would think any problem with valve train timing would be flagged with an engine code - so doubt (hope!!) that's your problem.

It would help to verify basics - do you have fuel? Do you have spark?

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
.......But I would think any problem with valve train timing would be flagged with an engine code - so doubt (hope!!) that's your problem........

Normal it would throw a Dtc but based on the logs posted I am not sure that scanner is reading the data correctly.

Fred930

Scirocco MK II Track Car
I have both OBD11 and VagCom. The OBD11 Bluetooth dongle and Android phone app are pretty slick (and cheap) - nice to leave in the glove box (or right in the OBD port) for quick easy scanning on the road and value block readings.

But it's certainly nowhere near as detailed or functional as the Ross Tech product - especially for long coding and adaptation help, plus their great forum which is actively monitored by Ross Tech staff.

Just another example of getting what you pay for, I suppose.

usmcpi

Yea - that would be a good thing to do - assuming you have access to a simple compression tester gauge. TSI motors have a problem with failure of early chain tensioners (actually, there have been several VW revisions to that part).

I do have a tester, I'll give it a go.

If yours is an old original and has failed, it would certainly show up with a quick compression test. The motor would also sound "different" when spinning (attempting to start), if the valves are not working. Hope that's not your problem - it's costly to repair the bent valves and head work.

Honestly, before I realized that my car was doing the "smart-start" (does this have an actual technical and/or VW designated term??), I thought my car was actually started and idling at 300rpm. That's how normal it sounds. I gotta put some relays back in but I can get a sound/video clip of me trying to start it.

But I would think any problem with valve train timing would be flagged with an engine code - so doubt (hope!!) that's your problem.

Anyone in Metro ATL with VCDS that can swing by? Down to compensate ya with food, drinks, gas money, and good karma ;-)

It would help to verify basics - do you have fuel? Do you have spark?

I grounded the first spark plug (left side of engine as looking at it) to the engine and had a buddy crank. I saw spark in daytime (albeit a bit overcast) from 5 ft away. About a second or less in between, which makes sense at 250rpm /4 strokes = 62.5 full cycles per min /60 sec = 1.04 cycles/sec. 1/1.04 = .96 seconds for every plug fire.

I pulled the soft feed line off the HPFP and it seems to flow out plenty. Havent tested past the HPFP besides what OBD11 tells me.