GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Project ultimate daily. Build #2

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Found a local pick and pull and grabbed the rear lower spring perches. Fixed my rear ride hight issue!!

2x4 Jack stands ftmfw

Dealership finished up the water pump job, gave me 20% off, $683 all said and done. I guess it's better than a kick in the balls.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
How do you like that luggage rack? Do you have a hard box or soft bag you put on it or?

Was originally just going to use it for bikes, but on this trip the wife and I were talking about next time getting a hard shell box. I'm already hunting for one, frees up soooo much space getting bags out of the car.

Edit: I love it.
Second edit: but only with the fairing, without it it's drops 3mpg and makes a lot of noise.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Well I finally dug into it to get some minor stupid issues sorted out. Loving the new H&R suspension but she was still too low with the perches maxed out in the rear. Ended up selling my FKs and the guy that bought them wanted to go hella low so I swapped rear perches with him. FINALLY have it sitting at a driveable ride height. No more rubbing or bottoming out!!!!

The other issue was with the CTS Turbo back. Fitment is crap with CTS and it was rubbing on the rear subframe/control arms and was driving my wife nuts. Got it oriented in a way it doesn't rub anymore but the tips are no longer centered in the hole.

For the first time since I bought this car, it's running right, has no odd noises, trans is good, shes just golden right now. Once we get the wife's new car I'll be drowning this for a week or two and pulling the motor for a whole reseal (bitch leaks oil from everywhere). Once that's done, a side from a few minor things here and there, the cars done.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Well, couldn't sleep last night and ended up throwing some parts on the car. Got the DV relocate and BSH throttle body pipe done. I did however find some things I didnt like, like the 1/4 qt of oil in my charge pipes when I swapped the TBP and the massive oil leaks that just keep getting worse. Going to pull the motor in the next month or so and completely reseal everything (new gaskets, o rings, RTV, etc) and do another timing chain service.

Couple of the holes for the catch can plate are semi stripped out and my oil pan still needs to be replaced. When I pull the motor I'll be installing new ones. This car is indeed my own personal money pit, but, I still love it.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Slowly chipping away at the latest modfest. BSH motor and trans mounts swapped in replacing the 034 stree density mount. Already had a BSH dog bone so this just completes the set. Have to rebush the dogbone, the poly bushings are in really bad shape.

Was also doing a clean out/detail with lil Vader over watching.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Too long between updates, but then again not much changed. Went ahead and put it in winter mode, also swapped out rotors for a set of drilled and slotted. Picked up a set of Classix with GT Radial snow tires. The rear H&R suspension setup was insanely harsh for a daily, some of that might have to do with me running FK spring perches to get the car higher. The H&R perches were just too damn short. My thought was the taller perches were actually too tall for the H&R struts, so I swapped in some Koni FSD struts to see if it made the rear less "crashy" over harsh bumps.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Annnnnnd just when everything is going well, left rear heat shield rusted out and fell off. It's making more noise than you could possibly believe. Every bump sound like a tin can full of marbles and the constant rub on the rotor is driving me nuts. Just happened this morning, going to tear into it tonight lol. Uggggg.

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion
All the problems you keep mentioning make me so happy I got rid of my 09.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
All the problems you keep mentioning make me so happy I got rid of my 09.

Its hands down the worst year of the MKV, no question. But, I've got so much into it at this point I'm stuck with it. Trans only has like 10k miles on it now, suspension is brand new, water pump, timing job, exhaust, etc. At this point I have 95% of the kinks worked out and I'll eventually build this for the wifes track car. Its well over half way there already lol.