GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Yet another no start issue

SapperStryker

Yes....
Car(s)
07' GTi MKv
Hey guys it's been years since I've come back on here but I feel tried to do all the research and googling I can but no luck.

Here's the problem.

Yesterday we had a rain storm while I was at work. Drove home and then realized I had 1.5 inches of water on my passenger side floorboard. Realizing my sunroof leaked I vacuumed the water out using a 12v wet dry vac hooked to the car while it was idling. I finished with the water a little while later. Shut the car off and went inside.

Today I took my truck to work and left the car at home. Asked my wife to pull it out to the drive way for everything to dry up. Well the car won't start

Here's what I know so far:

Power comes on
Dash lights up
No immobilzer light
Ecu works because I can see data values and scan for codes on torque app.

Turn the key: I get the under dash relay click. Yet no clicking from starter.

What I've tried:
Replaced the battery (it was 4 years old and starting to bulge anyways)
Checked and got power coming to starter from battery
When I turn the key I get 12v from signal wire that goes to starter solenoid
Tested all the relays in the engine fuse box
Did a continuity check on all fuses.

I pulled the starter off and took it to AutoZone for their "test" they gave me a slip saying it failed with some electrical readings on it. Not sure what they mean though.

I did notice the lights do not dim when I turn the key but if the starter isn't drawing power I don't see why it would.

I also find it strange that the starter doesn't even click.

I need to get the car running before I want to even think about fixing the sunroof drain.

Any ideas guys? Got a 3 month old in the house to the cheapest and quickest fix would be awesome.

3carmonte

Gelbrain
Car(s)
2007 GTI DSG Coup
You have a "no crank" issue. If you see voltage come and go to: the starting motor terminal and the solenoid + terminal by turning the ignition switch to/from the spring loaded "crank" position then Auto Zone is right. Your starting motor assy. is fubard. Watch this YouTube Video for perspective. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGem9YsjCRQ. The only part you haven't mentioned is the beefy solenoid in between the ignition switch to the starting motor itself. You are checking that by seeing the voltage come and go at the motor terminal. So, what else can it be? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgValPjmogw

Last edited:

SapperStryker

Yes....
Car(s)
07' GTi MKv
I suspected the starter solenoid. It's getting power to the solenoid but I'm guessing it's not actuation to turn the starter motor. When AutoZone did their test I heard it fire up in the test box. So maybe they went straight 12v power to starter motor?

SapperStryker

Yes....
Car(s)
07' GTi MKv
Just watched that video. I've done all those tests today. Solenoid is getting 12v from signal.

Also here's the link to picture of the test slip https://ibb.co/bLJby8

3carmonte

Gelbrain
Car(s)
2007 GTI DSG Coup
"Checked and got power coming to starter from battery
When I turn the key I get 12v from signal wire that goes to starter solenoid"

I am going by your descriptions sir. Why does Auto Zone fault a starting motor that runs when power is applied? The "starter solenoid" onboard the motor just interposes a pinion gear between the motor shaft gear and the flywheel when you kick the motor solenoid with +12vdc from the ignition switch. Go point to point. Step by step. It could (now) still be just a connection issue. An open where a wire terminal shows voltage but no current flows to the lug it's connected to. Water does weird %*@! It's been humid lately too. Clean and verify all connections in the circuits path and re-test. You'll get it.

SapperStryker

Yes....
Car(s)
07' GTi MKv
I'll go through it again. But yeah it's suppose to rain all next week. Might have to wait it out. Maybe more people can chime in

SapperStryker

Yes....
Car(s)
07' GTi MKv

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
I had it out put it back so it would keep any critters out while I get some money for new parts.

If you have access to a remote starter switch you still can test starter and bypass car wiring. Hookup remote starter have car in neutral and actuate remote starter button or trigger.

SapperStryker

Yes....
Car(s)
07' GTi MKv
If you have access to a remote starter switch you still can test starter and bypass car wiring. Hookup remote starter have car in neutral and actuate remote starter button or trigger.

Went out and ran a jump wire from battery to solenoid and nothing happens. Not a peep just a spark from the contact of my wire. Also tested the 12v lead that goes from solenoid to starter motor. When trying to crank I only see a change of 0.00v to 0.05v.

I'm like 90% sure it's that starter assembly

SapperStryker

Yes....
Car(s)
07' GTi MKv