GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DmfRacer daily driver and track car log - let's have some fun

doc280

Ready to race!
I could not pull the belt tight enough to get it to the correct mark, always one tooth off. I read in one of the diy's to move the crank, counter clock wise, the amount of one tooth, then put the belt on. This worked perfect for me and remember to rotate the engine twice and check the timing marks.

larcic

Ready to race!
uh cam chain tensioner strength has nothing to do with getting the timing right as far as I know. specially if you never touched it during your timing belt install. unless its so bad its making the chain skip a tooth???

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion
It does have a tensioner that is prone to failure though.

dmfracer

Ready to race!
Got my GTI back from VW of the Woodlands. Verdict was somehow I got the timing chain/cams off by two teeth advanced, and the timing belt off one tooth retarded. I certainly feel retarded, but in my defense it is not easy to get the cams in time without the special tool, and the timing belt timing I've addressed in a separate post.

The take home from this is that you need to know when you are at the limit of your ability/talent/whatever and call in a pro.

Car running great - and I found out the original owner bought it and maintained it at this dealer. The service writer was kind enough to print out some of the service history of the car up to 120k miles in 2015 when the original owner traded it in.

It has a recent air conditioning compressor, pcv valve, intake valve runner (IMRAC?) motor, and a few other bits and pieces. This makes the 2nd owner - the guy I bough it from - look really bad as he took a VW dealer maintained car with 120k miles and really fucked it up in 1-2 years and 15,000 miles before I bought it.

dmfracer

Ready to race!
Odds and Ends

Finishing up a few odds and ends to get the car ready for track day season.

Just ordered Audi TTRS front brake ducts for cooling.

Motul RBF600 brake fluid. I've been using this stuff for a while.

A new helmet. My old one is expired. This is just a cheap one but is SA2015 so should be good for awhile.

And last but not least, a dash shelf kit to replace the front vent. My front vent mounting points were apparently broken by a careless previous owner and the thing rattles like crazy. A 10-year old car with 150k and no other rattles or squeaks except for this annoying thing. Hopfully the dash shelf thing will elminate the rattles and give me another place to put stuff. I never use that dash vent.

dmfracer

Ready to race!
Renewed my SCCA membership and signed up for a Track Night In America track night at Black Hawk Farms for May 3. This will be my first track day in a GTI and first in a front wheel drive car. I’ve tracked rear wheel drive cars like Mustangs, M3’s and 911, so the GTI will be different fun.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Renewed my SCCA membership and signed up for a Track Night In America track night at Black Hawk Farms for May 3. This will be my first track day in a GTI and first in a front wheel drive car. I’ve tracked rear wheel drive cars like Mustangs, M3’s and 911, so the GTI will be different fun.

Oh man, Blackhawk at night would be a blast!

dmfracer

Ready to race!
I was just chatting with a guy on the VW Wisconsin Facebook page and the next thing you know he's coming with full asking price in crisp $100 bills.

I will be taking the Z06 to the track day instead. :)