GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Undercarriage plastics to aluminum

tj1393

Passed Driver's Ed
If this is too long, there is a TLDR on bottom.

Hello everyone, I am not sure if this is the right area to place this but figured it would work due to being DIY and maintenance.

When I did my drive line rebuild with full poly, aluminum front and rear spindles and Tyrolsport front and rear dead set kit I also installed the ECS tuning skid plate. During the winter I drove in some pretty rough and deep snow on the mountain which in turn caused my passenger side undercarriage plastic protector to break. This will be I think the second time replacing these undercarriage plastics.

I have searched for multiple days/weeks now with no results and have been looking for aluminum undercarriage protectors to replace the plastic ones, similar to the aluminum skid plates many companies already make only, these would be for the left and right side undercarriage plastics.

I talked to a local metal fabricator who said they would need to see the plastics after removing them and bringing them in and they could tell me whether or not they could do it even though my passenger side is missing a few chunks which broke off somewhere along the mountain roads.

My question is, has anyone done this or researched this or done this to another car? Its crazy to me all these companies already make the skid plates but not for the long protection panels which makes me wonder if there is a reason or cause for them not to be making them? Are there any companies you know of who makes these or is there a reason I should not do this? I know it might increase weight a little bit but as far as price goes, the OEM plastic ones are about $130ish per side where as I might be able to get both sides for about $200-$300 which the company guesstimated without actually seeing the panels or what will need to be done.

Sorry for such a long post, I am terrible about getting to the point right away and like to mention back story and such which seems to then in turn cause people not to read/respond to my posts/threads/questions.

Thanks in advance and hope to hear some feedback if any.

TLDR: Upgrading plastic undercarriage driver and passenger sides with aluminum. Are there any companies you know of or any reason as to why or why not do this? $130 per plastic panel for OEM VW or $200-$300 for both sides in aluminum custom fabricated possibly thinking 3/16" thick, same as ECS tuning aluminum street shield.

These are the parts I am talking about. These are from ECS Tuning.

Under body Protection Kit - Left
Mfg Part #
1K0825201AEKT

1K0 825 201 A EKT
ECS Part #
ES#2876946
Brand
Genuine Volkswagen Audi
$157.07 left side

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine.../underbody-protection-kit-left/1k0825201aekt/

Underbody Protection Kit - Right
Mfg Part #
1K0825202AFKT

1K0 825 202 A FKT
ECS Part #
ES#2876947
Brand
Genuine Volkswagen Audi
$161.41 right side

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine...underbody-protection-kit-right/1k0825202afkt/

tj1393

Passed Driver's Ed
Seriously, nothing at all? No one has any ideas of or about this or never thought of doing this or has tried something like this for a different vehicle and no one has any ideas as to pros or cons of doing this?