GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Can i pass smog even though my cat is completely fried?

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
thanks for the help guys Ill see if my mechanic will help me track down and install this thing. he swears he passes emissions in his audi all the time and doesn't gave a cat.

It will pass ODBII but it won't pass a visual test. If they don't look you should pass, but they do know what they are and that they are there to bypass having an operating cat. All based on whether you get the expected visual inspection or not.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR

vegasGTI

Go Kart Champion
Love living in a state with no visual.

larcic

Ready to race!
love living it a state with no inspection at all :p

Notttravis707

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk5Gti
I paid registration early to not deal with getting fines for being late in case i couldn't sort this out in time and they sent me my sticker!!!!! Looks like i have a whole year to figure all this shit out.. If any of you guys can point me to a good thread on adding a little noise to my exhaust but still being able to pass CA emissions, that would be great. I really just wanna know if theres any benefit to doing a cat-back rather than res delete. I just want a bit deeper tone when i step on the throttle. but since my cat is dead and ill have to replace it i am staying open to going catless if anybody knows a way to do that in CA then sign me up...i don't care if its legal i just want it to look like it'll pass.

Notttravis707

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk5Gti
Im from California and have experience with this. If the p0420 was the only code you had an o2 spacer could possibly clear it. O2 spacers on these cars seem finicky though you might get rid of the p0420 but then throw an o2 lean code. BUT if they notice the o2 spacer when they do the visual inspection then you will fail automatically. Any modifications to the intake or emission systems that are not CARB approved are insta fail on the visual. 2000 and newer cars just get an OBD readiness check now for smog + visual, so if you can run through the readiness monitors with an obd monitoring program after you've had a spacer on for a while with no codes you can pass.

Unless you got the STAR smog request notice on your slip, I find that some of the smaller hole in the wall shops don't do a very thorough visual inspection, like they might quickly run an inspection mirror under the car for any obvious cat deletes or maybe just pop the hood real quick to look for any mods.

Sorry to revive a dead thread but now I'm actually going to have to deal with smogging the car in april. What youre saying is with the o2 spacer I should pass the sniff, and if I can get it positioned right to not give off any CEL I'll pass the ODB rediness and if everything aligns they won't see any modification and I'll pass?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Sorry to revive a dead thread but now I'm actually going to have to deal with smogging the car in april. What youre saying is with the o2 spacer I should pass the sniff, and if I can get it positioned right to not give off any CEL I'll pass the ODB rediness and if everything aligns they won't see any modification and I'll pass?

sent pm

carbonduc27

Car(s)
07 CW GTI 4dr Stage2
CA can be a real pain. Obviously if you have a smog shop that follows the law, any mods , spacers, changes will lead to a fail - even if it passes all the sniffer tests.

The only work arounds are:

Go to a smog shop that is not so anal about the visual check - then a spacer may pass the sniffer. You will need to clear any codes and then drive a lot so the sensors reset and show "ready" on the smog machine.

I had luck years ago with running almost pure ethyl alcohol in the tank when I had trouble passing my audi 2.7t. Got it from lowes, poured in a gallon on an almost empty tank and warmed everything up - burned SUPER clean. Then went straight to the pump and filled up.

I also have my cars registered at my cabin up in the mountains. That county does not require a smog check every two years. SO unless I need to sell the car, I could (if I wanted to) do whatever mods I wanted after the purchase smog.

Of course, yesterday I came across a pop-up rolling smog check station on the road. The CHP and Smog techs were flagging random cars and doing smog checks right on the road side. Didn't know CA did that. Scary.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
CA can be a real pain. Obviously if you have a smog shop that follows the law, any mods , spacers, changes will lead to a fail - even if it passes all the sniffer tests.

The only work arounds are:

Go to a smog shop that is not so anal about the visual check - then a spacer may pass the sniffer. You will need to clear any codes and then drive a lot so the sensors reset and show "ready" on the smog machine.

I had luck years ago with running almost pure ethyl alcohol in the tank when I had trouble passing my audi 2.7t. Got it from lowes, poured in a gallon on an almost empty tank and warmed everything up - burned SUPER clean. Then went straight to the pump and filled up.

I also have my cars registered at my cabin up in the mountains. That county does not require a smog check every two years. SO unless I need to sell the car, I could (if I wanted to) do whatever mods I wanted after the purchase smog.

Of course, yesterday I came across a pop-up rolling smog check station on the road. The CHP and Smog techs were flagging random cars and doing smog checks right on the road side. Didn't know CA did that. Scary.

They are voluntary, you can decline. These are to monitor smog shops. Also tailpipe sniffer test not part of bi-annual smog check unless car is pre 2000.

MkvNR

Yikes. I have to get smog check this year and I’m alittle worried. Awe downpipe does not throw a cel but will not pass visual. Means I have to pay to play $300 for the downpipe switch to stock and back from shop. I’m more worried about my intake being evoms. The smog place I took it to 3 years ago let me by with apr stage one tune and intake. What to do this April

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk