GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Auto Club Speedway Feb 21

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Anyone else going? Just getting started with doing this and just getting started with track mods.

I have been once with this car. It is setup as a quick daily driver and it went to the track just the way I daily drive it. After the first outing it was pretty clear the car needed an LSD above almost everything. The B.F. Goodrich Comp 2 did.. ok. The Golf R brakes up front with HP plus pads did very well. Stock GTI calipers with HPS pads in rear.

So for this outing I have added an LSD and Golf R rear brakes with HP plus pads as well. I will bias the tire pressure (higher in front, less in rear). Set rear sway bar on the harder of two settings, front soft. If I have time before I go I will go and get a little negative camber dialed in up front if there is any to be had,

I will run with this for a few sessions on hopefullly a few tracks

Next up will be camber plates and race tires with a time attack rear sway.

My first outing in the car, just driving it out on the track with no special prep was just plain fun. I took it easy but the car performed well and boy is it fun just to open it up on the back straight at about 135 or so, too busy to really be sure how fast I was going. I will do a better job of marking speed this time.

If anyone is going let me know and I will see you out there.

Short windy clip from my first outing last year.
Link

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
The couple guys I usually track with will be out there on Saturday. I would be out here but I'm a little behind on season prep.

When I was using street tires, 2.0º of camber worked well for me @Autoclub, banking doesn't like a lot of camber. It seems the banking is where you can really improve your times once you have the infield down.

Have a good, safe time!

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
The couple guys I usually track with will be out there on Saturday. I would be out here but I'm a little behind on season prep.

When I was using street tires, 2.0º of camber worked well for me @Autoclub, banking doesn't like a lot of camber. It seems the banking is where you can really improve your times once you have the infield down.

Have a good, safe time!

Thanks and thanks again for the tire info. Looking forward to Sunday.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
How'd it go?

It went well. The new LSD is transformative. I drove this same course before without the LSD with everything else about the same. What a difference. You can do so much more because you can put so much more power to the pavement. Car ran very well. I am going to look for some wheels and tires next.

I did have my water meth system fail on me after the first session. Down a bit on power but really didn't notice it which was surprising as it was in the 80's. It has been flawless until it wasn't. (2 years). Have not determined cause yet.

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
Seems like water meth is a hassle, I have had four friends that have had theirs run out of water/meth or they stop functioning for whatever reason, doesn't seem very reliable.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Seems like water meth is a hassle, I have had four friends that have had theirs run out of water/meth or they stop functioning for whatever reason, doesn't seem very reliable.

Actually been flawless for 2 years since install. The power gains that can be had are very attractive along with the ability to greatly lower IATs when nothing else will on a hot day.

Hassle is getting it dialed in initially, generally you are left with buying and filling the methanol tank as needed.

I agree it does add one more point of failure and it is simpler to just fill your tank and go but for me the gains outweigh any hassle by far.